What's new

AiMesh same channel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BoostOver

Regular Contributor
Hello everybody,
I'm a very curious guy.
I've always read that using the same wifi channel used by another device is not the right thing.
Now I see that my AiMesh uses the same channel!
So using the same channel is now the right thing?
I'm confused.

Attachments

• 27C409B9-D0D9-4C7A-B186-8D43D79CF2AE.jpeg
    27C409B9-D0D9-4C7A-B186-8D43D79CF2AE.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 41
It is how it is done currently. No right or wrong, use it if it fits your environment.

Using different channels in a highly congested environment may be considered wrong too (for example).

Hello everybody,
I'm a very curious guy.
I've always read that using the same wifi channel used by another device is not the right thing.
Now I see that my AiMesh uses the same channel!
So using the same channel is now the right thing?
I'm confused.

Using the same channel is required for wireless clients/nodes to comunicate and perhaps roam more quickly; allows AiMesh Wireless to be centrally and simply configured once for site WiFi conditions; and reduces channel congestion/consumption in crowded/residential areas.

Next time you are in a business with many APs, use a WiFi Analyzer app on your mobile device to see that they put suitably distanced APs on the same channel and manage/aim? Tx power so that one AP/signal dominates in its intended coverage area. The goal is to avoid multiple APs on the same channel broadcasting the same high signal level at the same location. Other consumer mesh systems also use the same band channel across APs.

You have limited control over consumer 'mesh' APs... not too near (~40ft?), not too far (~80ft?), not too many (one AiMesh AP can cover a very large house!), and not one directly over the other.

OE

Last edited:
Unless you have devices with multiple radios you are pretty much forced to use "one channel" on a band for the router, extenders, mesh nodes, and devices. It's much less of an issue than it used to be though as the latest standards split those channels into sub-channels. Using sub-channels (by default, you don't see it and can't control it) for want of a better phrase "tidies things up a bit" allowing devices using those standards to squeeze more data into the same space. Of course, all you need to undo much of this is a single badly behaved legacy device!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!