What's new

AiProtection not logging

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

choleric

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-AC68U running 384.17. The AiProtection functions aren't logging, and the functions ("Malicious Sites Blocking", etc.) show "0". This wasn't the case at one time, but it's been going on for a long time now.

I saw this post, but it's not working for me:

I don't have an "AiProtection" directory under /jffs/.sys. I only have WebHistory, cfg_mnt, and nc. I've tried reformatting the entire jffs partition, to no avail.

Test here (test site only, not real malware):

All modern browsers use Safe Browsing engine. You have to disable it to trigger AiProtection response.

Thanks. I had done that--AiProtection (or at least malicious sites blocking) is working (for non-VPN clients only, of course)--it's just not reflecting that in the router admin interface.

Then I don't know. I also find 384 code for AC68U better (if no AiMesh in use), but you may need a refresh.

I've been planning on doing a refresh for ages, but I loathe setting everything up again so much I've put it off. What is the best way to go about it? Would I just have to use the "Factory default / Restore ... Initialize all the settings..." function in the admin UI?

You can do it from the GUI or with physical buttons, the result is the same. I would format jffs first, reboot, then restore + initialize in GUI. I would run 384.18 on this router with Unbound. It works really well and goes around dnsmasq issues, fixed in later firmware versions. 386 code is good if you run AiMesh, the improvements are focused there. There is a Traffic Monitor bug in 386 code for AC68U. I also found VPN performance in 384 better, but I don't know if it's valid for AC68U. My VPN tests were done on AC86U. It's up to you, you have a choice. Don't restore saved config files, set the router manually.