What's new

SysLog Logging Levels?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dezzo

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

What do most of you use for your syslog log-level settings?

If the "Default Message Log Level" and "Log Only Messages More Urgent Than" are set to defaults, the log gets spammed with useless entries.
So I changed both to "Warning" level, but I'm still not seeing anything useful in the log to indicate why the WiFi is crapping out all the time recently.

Now that I want to change them back, I can't even find what the default settings used to be.

What should I set these to so I can actually see some useful info?

I'm using an RT-AX68U and the WiFi has recently been disconnecting and disappearing at random.
Syslog never shows anything related, and never gives anything of use.

I've been toying with this months it feels like trying to get a combination that's informative without being chatty and spamming to my syslog server.

I'm presently on a default of error and logging only more urgent than warning. However, no matter what I do I never see the settings change reflected in /proc/sys/kernel/printk and continue to record plenty of entries of lower levels such as'debug' and 'notice'. I don't know if it's just a bug in the 386.10_0-gnuton1 firmware I'm running on my DSL-AC68U or not. I don't know what's going on. And I'm confusing syslog settings and kernel console settings so clearly I know nothing.

Last edited: