What's new

Alert - Cloudflare [?] DOT Issue With Samsung Hub

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WMConey

Regular Contributor
Just for everyone's FYI:

So I set up DOT on my ASUS AC86U with Cloudflare as my provider. Somewhere along the way, my Samsung v2 hub lost communication with the Samsung servers and all my "smarthome" stuff went offline.

So at one point I whined about this in the SmartThings reddit and luckily one of the moderators is a software engineer for them. He asked for some details about my hub and then told me they could see my hub on the communications channel that controls updates, but not on the servers that control normal operation. He said that the group investigating this thought it was a DNS issue.

So this got me curious enough to disable all DOT / filtering, etc and switch to Google for DNS. Literally by the time I walked over to the hub after applying the change the hub had reconnected. I have since switched back to Cloudflare but not DOT or filtering and continue to stay connected.

Something to look at if you are having issues.

So this got me curious enough to disable all DOT / filtering, etc and switch to Google for DNS. Literally by the time I walked over to the hub after applying the change the hub had reconnected. I have since switched back to Cloudflare but not DOT or filtering and continue to stay connected.
What kind of “filtering” did you have?

Just meant that in regard to having the DNSFilter tab on the LAN page set to force all the DNS traffic forced over to DOT / CloudFlare. That's now turned off.

Were you trying to use Cloudflare filtering (1.1.1.2)?

Lately I've had issues with the SmartThings Hub v3 not connecting to Samsung servers(solid blue light) and it did turned out it no longer likes when DOT is enabled. I've tried Cloudfare(1.1.1.1) or Google DNS(8.8.8.8) servers and it won't come back online unless I disable DOT. I'm guessing the issue is with the hub firmware as even my sister's hub recently had the same issue after a power outage and I haven't updated her AC66 firmware in months and this issue just started,