What's new

Allowing Remote Desktop Connection between VLAN's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unless your budget is unlimited I'm afraid you'll not see a bunch much different on them. More polished configuration possibly but I reckon most all are running busybox multi-call executable over GNU/Linux.

I'm just now getting into linux, dragged into linux by necessity.
Kicking and screaming? Too bad. You've been missing out by a very great deal, IMO.

It's like they took all the useful networking commands that linux comes with and removed them from the kernel and then stuck that in the router.
Kernel's got all it needs. The commands which have been neutered via busybox is a separate issue. Nothing to say you couldn't (cross-) compile whatever you want and drop it in /jffs, likely best statically linked and stripped. Though who's to say what Broadcom's done with stuff. Maybe more-comprehensive executables won't have anything more to do.

I believe Broadcom develops a base system and sells that as they can. It's up to their customer to salt and pepper to taste for production and public consumption. No inside information, merely (some) understanding of practices.

Why does a Private LAN network even need a domain name to translate? Why do my private IP LAN devices generate hundreds of UDP messages to the internet using tons of random ports? Why is everything listening on foreign address 0.0.0.0:*
Read the book.

In looking around for major-brand all-in-one devices, the Asus stuff appears to offer me the most satisfying experience.

Last edited:
@j3tz, I wouldn't be relying on an old Linux book to help too much with Asus routers today. Although, I'm sure for many it would be useful/interesting to have such in-depth knowledge of what is going on under the hood. It is simply not needed. I have no such knowledge, nor care to learn it at my age.

From what I understand and what has been explained (by RMerlin) here, the underpowered hardware we are running today isn't capable of running a full Linux install. That is why knowing/learning about how Linux works doesn't help too much with today's consumer routers (and specifically, Asus/RMerlin firmware).

What I suggest for a stable, dependable, and performant network is to install the firmware you want to use (and with your knowledge and curiosity, RMerlin firmware is the better fit than stock Asus), then perform a full reset to factory defaults using the appropriate method for your router in the link below.

What I also (always) do for customer setups is an additional full reset to factory defaults via the GUI while also making sure to check the box to 'Initialize all settings...' too, before hitting the Restore button to initiate that full reset.

To be sure, I do those two resets at least twice each. While also re-installing the same firmware the router already has installed (and I want to use it with).

Overkill? Maybe. But I'd rather spend 15 minutes extra before I start configuring the network than spend an hour or more afterward (or worse, being called back by the customer because the network isn't stable).

I update, fully reset, and (almost fully) configure every single router before it ever gets the WAN port connected to the outside world.

With new SSIDs, passwords, and usernames, I am now a bit more confident that the router/network is controlled by me (and that control will eventually be passed onto the customer, and often with a new password and username that only they know.

Before enabling any type of AiMesh setup (wired or wireless), I make sure that the main router and network are operating at their full capacity, are dependable and reliable, and there are no glitches or indications that may indicate incompatibilities between client devices or possible hardware issues either.

Only at this point do I consider adding an AiMesh node, after having rebooted the main router one last time and waiting at least 10 to 15 minutes for it to settle down (just the right amount of time needed to unbox the node, flash the firmware you want to use on it (recommended: use the same firmware as the main router for maximum stability and reliability of the network), and perform the full resets as described for the main router above. After the last reset on the node, do not access its GUI. Instead, add it to the network via the main router's GUI (add AiMesh node).

The following link has more detailed info on the few paragraphs above.

More information can be found in the links below.

And, when you have new firmware available, you may want to do the following before you proceed with the upgrade.

Which will allow you to quickly get back to your current working setup with minimal fuss.

And, maybe more importantly, if the new firmware seems to introduce issues, you can perform a full reset of the router with the confidence of knowing you can quickly get back to a working network very quickly, and fully/properly test if the new firmware has a bug or if it was just unexpected interference with the previous firmware's variables, defaults, and other settings/interactions that may have been changed from old to new.

@glens thanks for sharing your wisdom.

There's been a little whining now that I'm actually trying to understand linux. When I think about it more, I've used Linux more than I let on. I remember using Solaris machines at work in 2000's. I used to know awk and sed pretty well and the thrill of discovering pipes and grep. Then I worked in corporate world and it was all windows. I forgot everything. I have Ubuntu on a machine that I sometimes use and puppy linux on some USB's and ancient computers I kept for some reason.

My exposure to Linux has mainly been a result of whatever employer is using and I never dove deep. I whine because I have to relearn awk and sed.

My journey into the workings of the consumer router has exposed me to custom linux kernel binaries embedded in odd places and strange new shells. At the same time I'm finally trying to understand networking protocols and netmasks and gateways and interfaces etc. It's a bewildering new world.

I will say this. Consumer router GUI is no one's friend.

Just the smattering of commands this book provides as examples is setting up a better network than I'd be able to configure in the GUI of the router.

8 lines and I've configured network interfaces, set up half a subnet, and put up a decent firewall with IP masquerading..

Code:
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.1
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
route add -net 192.168.1.0 and then
route add default gw 192.168.1.129
...clip...
iptables -P forward DENY
iptables -A forward -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQ -d 0.0.0.0