What's new

[alpha] Early preview builds for Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty I'm seeing an issue with the alpha4 not handing out IPv6 addresses to clients consistently. It will issue them and then rescind them even though its still showing that it has an IPv6 allocation from the modem. I'm also seeing some network lag on IPv4 as browsers really slow down loading pages. When I looked at the router and didn;'t see myself as an IPv6 client I looked at my pc settings and sure enough it showed no connection on IPv6.

Once I saw that I was on IPv6 I clicked on the diagnose button in Ethernet status and when it was running the router issued me and another wired client an IPv6 address. The strange thing is that it keeps on dropping my IPv6 connection and just as soon as I run the diagnose utility it gives it back all the while the router retains it from the modem. What I didn't do was power it down completely after flashing it which I might try soon just as soon as I can catch a break in network use.

which comcast modem do you have ?
have you tried going to the official comcast forums as there's a tech ther that helped check me
determine if it was my router or modem.
In my case it was my modem that was the culprit ,I swapped it out and since then it's been fine

I have been to the xfinity forums and there are several people with the same problem. I was using an Arris sb6121 but swapped it out the other day for a Netgear CM1000. I moved all clients off to the att vdsl router and did a soft reset which seems to have cleared up my issue with it cyclically dropping IPv6 clients even though the router had received an IPv6 address from the modem.

I just tried to log into my router using the ip address and it threw me to the cfe mini server for the first time ever. I closed out that browser window and when I tried it again it sent me to the gui. This is going to be fun. I'm also having an issue with my cell phones not being able to access my security dvr but I can get to it from a wireless laptop just fine so its down to the android dvr software.

I just had a weird issue with 380.66alpha3 in that I manually set my DNS servers to google and when I check my WAN connection it shows the Comcast DNS servers are being used.
I noticed that the other day as well with my ISP. I'm using 380.65_4. If I specify google DNS servers and go to ipleak.net, I see my ISP DNS servers are listed. However, if I specify TorGuards DNS servers, ipleak.net confirms those are being used.

I noticed that the other day as well with my ISP. I'm using 380.65_4. If I specify google DNS servers and go to ipleak.net, I see my ISP DNS servers are listed. However, if I specify TorGuards DNS servers, ipleak.net confirms those are being used.
I have Google set as DNS and ipleak.net shows Google just fine. Must be a local issue.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Well I just rolled back to alpha3 because alpha4 isn't issuing IPv6 addresses to clients even though it has been given an IPv6 address from the cable modem. Upon reinstalling alpha3 the router immediately issued IPv6 addresses to clients so there's something amiss in the newer version.

IPv6 addresses
Question.... What do you doing for now with ipv6? :D
Merlin cant do nothing for that.
And the issue of the router not forwarding ipv6 adress to clients after an upgrade is not new, its there since many years,and discussed many many many time across this forum.Power cycle the router ,restart your pc and it should be good.
My first router N66 was on fw 374.5656(3 years) and this issues was there.I have also Ac68(2 years) and Rt-A1900P and they have the same behaviour.
** We are not talking the same thing if your router cant get any IPV6 adress from your ISP

Last edited:
Well I just rolled back to alpha3 because alpha4 isn't issuing IPv6 addresses to clients even though it has been given an IPv6 address from the cable modem. Upon reinstalling alpha3 the router immediately issued IPv6 addresses to clients so there's something amiss in the newer version.

I think you need to sort out your issues with your ISP, or give up on IPv6. I've seen you try at least 5 different firmware versions so far, and none of them apparently worked "properly" for you. There's a sizable number of Comcast customers who have no problem with IPv6 and Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin, so unless there's something special with your provider's node to which you are connected, I don't think there's anything wrong in the firmware code.

IPv6 is just one big lab experiment that's been dropped into the world due to the IPv4 shortage. It's badly over-engineered, nobody seems to agree on how to implement it without causing compatibility issues. I still consider that entirely experimental, until everyone involved can figure out a way to provide a baseline implementation that everyone can agree upon. The fact that 15 years after it's original design it's still NOT fully supported by everyone should be raising alarms already.

Right now, even for allocating IPs, there are multiple different methods, while IPv4 pretty much has one (DHCP). It's just one big, huge mess, and we're stuck with that because now it's too late for someone with basic common sense to come in, and provide a properly developed alternative to IPv4.

For the record, nothing has changed between alpha3 and alpha4 regarding IPv6. Nothing was changed either regarding the wireless driver. The changes in results you see after flashing a firmware aren't caused by the newly flashed firmware, but by the fact that you just rebooted that router while flashing it.

Last edited:
The modem plays a big part as well. My older zoom modem with Comcast doesn't play nice. So i just stick with ipv4.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

For the record, nothing has changed between alpha3 and alpha4 regarding IPv6. Nothing was changed either regarding the wireless driver. The changes in results you see after flashing a firmware aren't caused by the newly flashed firmware, but by the fact that you just rebooted that router while flashing it.
Maybe I have a defective router? In the meantime I'm going to stay on alpha3 and do a daily reboot.

Thank you @RMerlin ! Alpha 4 is running smooth as silk here. :)

Maybe I have a defective router? In the meantime I'm going to stay on alpha3 and do a daily reboot.

A defective router could possibly explain wifi-related issues, but not IPv6 ones.

The first thing I'd try was, as recommended, to reboot your equipment. I would do it in this specific order:

- Turn off modem, router and computers/mobile/etc...
- Turn on modem, let it sync
- Turn on router, let it connect
- Turn on all computers and wireless devices

This will ensure a complete reset of your network.

A defective router could possibly explain wifi-related issues, but not IPv6 ones.

The first thing I'd try was, as recommended, to reboot your equipment. I would do it in this specific order:

- Turn off modem, router and computers/mobile/etc...
- Turn on modem, let it sync
- Turn on router, let it connect
- Turn on all computers and wireless devices

This will ensure a complete reset of your network.
I did that a little while ago on my own as I reverted back to the stock 7266 to capture the behavior for asus customer loyalty. That would get a default IPv6 gateway but wouldn't obtain a WAN address to issue clients addresses. Just as soon as I moved back up to 380.65.2 it obtained an IPv6 address.

As for the wireless environment its horrible where I'm at with a pile of competing networks around me. Not only do I have my neighbors routers but I also have Xfinity neighborhood hotspots too which show up in acrylic and number over 30 so I will never have an ideal signal here. I'm just going to keep messing around with it to see what happens as I now have time for it.

Running 380.66 Alpha 4 since it came out. Updated from 380.65-0. Smooth as silk so far.....

I'm on an RT-AC68u A1 and a few hours after flashing to Alpha 4, I lost my Internet connection and had to reconnect manually. This could be a complete coincidence of course. I only mentioned it because this happens only very rarely, maybe every 3-4 months. And to learn if anyone else had such discons.

Been using 66 A-4 since release no disconnects no issues.

I did that a little while ago on my own as I reverted back to the stock 7266 to capture the behavior for asus customer loyalty. That would get a default IPv6 gateway but wouldn't obtain a WAN address to issue clients addresses. Just as soon as I moved back up to 380.65.2 it obtained an IPv6 address.

As for the wireless environment its horrible where I'm at with a pile of competing networks around me. Not only do I have my neighbors routers but I also have Xfinity neighborhood hotspots too which show up in acrylic and number over 30 so I will never have an ideal signal here. I'm just going to keep messing around with it to see what happens as I now have time for it.

If I had the headaches you seem to have I'd wire it and forget WIFI.

It's your modem,go get one from Comcast and bridge it

Status
Not open for further replies.