What's new

[Alpha] Pre-release test builds available (both 380 and 382 branches)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had strange issues with 382.1_2 and I decided to take even greater risk and update to 382.2 alpha. Everything seems to work much better in that version but I have a question and suggestion to @RMerlin :

As the changelog states, you moved the SSL certificate place under the DDNS tab since Lets Encrypt is also in the game now and that would make things much simpler. The first thing I have to note is that it doesnt seem to work at all. When I click on "Apply" nothing happens. I tried with both a built in Let's Encrypt certificate and with my own certificates signed by Lets Encrypt. Have you maybe tested this and it works for you?

Also please dont make the use of DDNS mandatory for someone who just wants to use its own certificates. I have my own certificates that I sign though my NAS and I upload them to the router manually. Since I dont use routers DDNS, I dont wish to be forced to use asuscomm DDNS just to be able to easily upload certificates instead of using SSH.

Last edited:
382.2_alpha2-g5038276 Has been excellent so far for me @RMerlin . I upgraded and didnt have to change a thing. Further @thelonelycoder, @Adamm, @bigeyes0x0 so far your scripts run real well on this version of firmware for the AC3100.

Anyone know if the latest AC3100 alpha build will run on a AC68U? The change log isn't really conclusive enough for me to make the decision yet. If it works I have a AC68U to test with.

Thanks for new test builds. IPSec VPN seems to work perfectly. Alexa skill seems not enabled for Canada and shows geographic restrictions. IFTTT also not registering for some reason. IFTTT and Alexa are probably going to need fix from Asus. Great to see at least VPN is working as it should.

you'll need to use it on a amazon USA account then it will work just fine. but if for some reason the usa account's "market place" is on Canada just call amazon support for them to fix it. Thats what I had to do to use any Alexa skills

Anyone know if the latest AC3100 alpha build will run on a AC68U? The change log isn't really conclusive enough for me to make the decision yet. If it works I have a AC68U to test with.
Why will you use an AC3100 alpha build to an AC68U? AC68U has its own Alpha2 test firmware FYI.

Why will you use an AC3100 alpha build to an AC68U? AC68U has its own Alpha2 test firmware FYI.
Thank you I was dreaming I guess. Does anyone else find this firmware uses a serious amount of memory? RT-AC68U I'm at 66% with three scripts running QOS and AI-Protection.

Ok both the AC3100 and the AC68U are running stable on the new 382.2_alpha2-g5038276, however memory usage on the AC68U is quite high around 68% of the 256Meg it has.

Ok both the AC3100 and the AC68U are running stable on the new 382.2_alpha2-g5038276, however memory usage on the AC68U is quite high around 68% of the 256Meg it has.
The memory usage for rt-ac68u will be high in 382 branch compared to 380 cause Broadcom allocated a reserve memory percentage for its usage if I'm not mistaken mentioned by Merlin. Do a search of Merlin's post it's around somewhere.:D

The memory usage for rt-ac68u will be high in 382 branch compared to 380 cause Broadcom allocated a reserve memory percentage for its usage if I'm not mistaken mentioned by Merlin. Do a search of Merlin's post it's around somewhere.:D

The new trendmicro engine adds around 50MB of extra usage. For devices like the AC68U there is enough spare resources where this isn't much of a concern, the AC86U on the otherhand is quite resource constraint.

The new trendmicro engine adds around 50MB of extra usage. For devices like the AC68U there is enough spare resources where this isn't much of a concern, the AC86U on the otherhand is quite resource constraint.
Cool! Like you said before "Whats the point of having the resources and not using them" I'll add especially for security.

That's only for the RT-AC86U.

I had dual Wan issues on AC68U 382.2 alpha (I tried doing a factory reset). Router stats were displaying connected for both WANs but devices were reporting no connection sometimes and failing to load pages. I've reverted back to 380.69 (factory reset after also) and it's working fine again now.

I will test 382 properly when the merlin build is officially released, I was in a bit of a rush to get the internet restored before family members started complaining so didn't have a lot of time to play around.:oops:

My setup is starting to get a bit more complex now as I have two modems connected to the Asus AC68U then a r7000 (set as access point) connected to the Asus AC68U via ethernet that provides WiFi to another room.

I understand that the Dual Wan code isn't touched in merlin builds but curious to see if anyone else has the same issue? Anyone know if Asus have made any Dual wan changes in 382?

Update: Oh there is a thread here about it, guess i'll be stuck on 380.69 till Asus fix it: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d_id=11&model=RT-AC68U&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Flashed RT-AC68U to 382.2_alpha2, my observation is internet seems very responsive, pages are snapping up.

One item I would like to report is that Media Server indicates is always 'scanning...', I do not believe is it scanning because CPU usage & memory usage does not seem to support activity of that nature. I have also streamed a movie while router was reporting scanning and my minidlna index file seems fine.

This fw is working well in my environment. Thank You, RMerlin!

I erroneously reported poor wan speeds with the alpha fw.
Today I learned that my poor DL speeds are due to my isp having internal problems that effect gigabit customers.

With build 382.2_alpha2, I seem to have some issues with DDNS page not working correctly. I already had Asus DDNS setup and tried to add lets encrypt option but then get error indicating no changes were made and to click yes to apply but there is no yes button and pressing ok button does nothing. If I try to disable DDNS and hit apply then nothing seems to happen. Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

• DDNS.jpg
    DDNS.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 479
With build 382.2_alpha2, I seem to have some issues with DDNS page not working correctly. I already had Asus DDNS setup and tried to add lets encrypt option but then get error indicating no changes were made and to click yes to apply but there is no yes button and pressing ok button does nothing. If I try to disable DDNS and hit apply then nothing seems to happen. Anyone else have this issue?

The DDNS page seems to be completely broken for me (AC88U). As the changelog states this is alpha software so some features arent tested, only implemented as placeholders. The DDNS page doesnt prompt for any confirmation in my case and the apply button doesnt seem to work at all.

Furthermore, It makes sense to keep the certificate upload seperated from the DDNS use so that it allows us to upload our certificates without having to use (another) DDNS. For now I solved this by just uploading the certs through the old and stable ssh method and everything works great.

Except that minor issue, this firmware seems pretty great and stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!