What's new

AX68 vs Alien

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mario64

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Looking for some input. I have two AX68’s setup in a wired router / access point configuration (not aimesh). It works fine but I’ve had my eye on the AmpliFi Alien mesh kit for some time. Recently the kit dropped to $380. What is the general consensus on the Alien? Is it better than the AX68?

Thank you,
mario

What are your ISP, paid-for speeds (up/down)?

What speeds do you actually achieve with your most used client devices? Are these clients PCs or handheld devices?

The only way to 'know', is to test in your specific environment.

To me, there is no better consumer router available today than an RMerlin-supported, Asus AX class or above, router.

The alien does look pretty though.

What are your ISP, paid-for speeds (up/down)?

What speeds do you actually achieve with your most used client devices? Are these clients PCs or handheld devices?

The only way to 'know', is to test in your specific environment.

To me, there is no better consumer router available today than an RMerlin-supported, Asus AX class or above, router.

The alien does look pretty though.

Thanks for the response. I have Spectrum Ultra 500 down. Not sure about upload honestly. I have a gaming laptop, work laptop plus iPhones, iPads and 2 Apple TVs. Speedtest is generally 550. This is with Rmerlin firmware.

Save your $380.

Thanks for the response. I have Spectrum Ultra 500 down. Not sure about upload honestly. I have a gaming laptop, work laptop plus iPhones, iPads and 2 Apple TVs. Speedtest is generally 550. This is with Rmerlin firmware.
As an owner of a single AX68, I'm curious how you like Merlin. Unlike you, my needs are far less stringent so I've stuck with ASWRT which has been rock solid. This being the 4th Asus router I've owned, its by FAR the best in all ways

Rmerlin has been great. I'm on a slightly older version, 386.7, but haven't had any issues. I was just looking at the Alien due to it being a mesh system, cool-looking and potentially more powerful.

Rmerlin has been great. I'm on a slightly older version, 386.7, but haven't had any issues. I was just looking at the Alien due to it being a mesh system, cool-looking and potentially more powerful.
Thanks..I appreciate the response. Still not sure if I want to risk installing Merlin since I see far more issues reported with it as compared to ASWRT. As the saying goes, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' :)

People who use stock Asus firmware won't know to come here to post.

Many of the issues reported on RMerlin firmware stem from what Asus has done, not Eric.

There is no risk in installing RMerlin firmware.

The benefits are plentiful though. Even if you don't use any special options or features, the underlying code is far more stable.

Many of the issues reported on RMerlin firmware stem from what Asus has done, not Eric.

The benefits are plentiful though. Even if you don't use any special options or features, the underlying code is far more stable.
I truly appreciate you stating this. That said, what I seek is higher performance with what I have. I live in a condo with tons of congestion and I'm always having to switch channels. Some of my neighbors have mesh systems with up to 6 or more channels running simultaneously. Would installing Merlin give me a leg up? And the fact that Asus hasn't released any updates for his router for a year, is concerning too.

PS..looking at the installation instructions is daunting since many of the elements are unfamiliar. I notice that most people running Merlin have mesh systems with multiple AP's. I have an AC-68P not being used, so would you recommend I study how to set up a mesh system to improve things? Never done that before either, LOL

The instructions are a bit wordy, but they were written for total beginners.

I would not use any AC class router (as a node or main) with an AX class main router (and haven't recommended that for years now).

You may want to try/play with the equipment you have. Nothing to gain but knowledge!

Simply fully reset the node router you want to use. Do NOT log onto the GUI. Power it up in the room with the main router.

From the main router, select AiMesh from the lefthand menu. Select Add AiMesh node. Wait until it connects.

Move the node to the location you want/need. Power it up and give it 10 to 15 minutes to settle down.

Be sure you update the node to the latest firmware available.

After about an hour from the last step you take above, reboot the AiMesh System from AiMesh, System Settings, and System Reboot.

If it stays stable for you, continue using it. If it gives you random glitches, I would not spend a lot of time trying to figure out what is wrong.

From the links I provided above (after associating the node properly):

AiMesh Ideal Placement

The instructions are a bit wordy, but they were written for total beginners.

I would not use any AC class router (as a node or main) with an AX class main router (and haven't recommended that for years now).

You may want to try/play with the equipment you have. Nothing to gain but knowledge!

Simply fully reset the node router you want to use. Do NOT log onto the GUI. Power it up in the room with the main router.

From the main router, select AiMesh from the lefthand menu. Select Add AiMesh node. Wait until it connects.

Move the node to the location you want/need. Power it up and give it 10 to 15 minutes to settle down.

Be sure you update the node to the latest firmware available.

After about an hour from the last step you take above, reboot the AiMesh System from AiMesh, System Settings, and System Reboot.

If it stays stable for you, continue using it. If it gives you random glitches, I would not spend a lot of time trying to figure out what is wrong.

From the links I provided above (after associating the node properly):

AiMesh Ideal Placement
I appreciate the explanation though I notice you mentioned nothing of Merlin. Regardless, my condo isn't wired with CAT cable outlets, so the ONE cable I have is connected to the AX68U in my bedroom so it would appear that using the AC68P as a node may be fruitless :) Not a big deal, was just curious about this 'stuff', LOL

RMerlin firmware is what I run and recommend exclusively. You should know that by now! :)

As AiMesh is a closed source, the process is the same whether running stock Asus or RMerlin firmware in any case.