What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello @AntonK, yes, normally I would for anyone using or relying on the 2.4GHz band, and depending on the router model, the USB drive used, and as you ask, which USB port is used.

If you rely on the 2.4GHz band, it is safer to just put it to USB 2.0 mode.

However, if you want to test if your network/equipment is affected, then try it in USB 3.0 mode, and keep in mind this is the setting you will most likely need to change if you see any issues on your network (specifically on the 2.4GHz band).

I don't rely on the 2.4GHz band and have been using 3.0 mode for a while now.

Note that in my testing, there is no performance difference between the two modes with regards to how amtm and the scripts work (apart from taking slightly longer to install, they work just as quick).

HTH. :)

Hello @AntonK, yes, normally I would for anyone using or relying on the 2.4GHz band, and depending on the router model, the USB drive used, and as you ask, which USB port is used.

If you rely on the 2.4GHz band, it is safer to just put it to USB 2.0 mode.

However, if you want to test if your network/equipment is affected, then try it in USB 3.0 mode, and keep in mind this is the setting you will most likely need to change if you see any issues on your network (specifically on the 2.4GHz band).

I don't rely on the 2.4GHz band and have been using 3.0 mode for a while now.

Note that in my testing, there is no performance difference between the two modes with regards to how amtm and the scripts work (apart from taking slightly longer to install, they work just as quick).

HTH. :)
Thanks!

Anton

Hi, just install AMTM using page 1 info but when I get to step 2
l get the Entware not found.

Did I miss something?

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC5300 384.17_0 Sun Apr 26 02:26:54 UTC 2020
Rew452@RT-AC5300-9DD0:/tmp/home/root# /jffs/scripts/amtm
-sh: /jffs/scripts/amtm: not found

Installing Entware via amtm.
  1. SSH into the router with PuTTY
  2. Type '/jffs/scripts/amtm' without the quotes and hit Enter
  3. using amtm, install Entware
  4. Wait for Entware install to be completed

Hi, just install AMTM using page 1 info but when I get to step 2
l get the Entware not found.

Did I miss something?

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC5300 384.17_0 Sun Apr 26 02:26:54 UTC 2020
Rew452@RT-AC5300-9DD0:/tmp/home/root# /jffs/scripts/amtm
-sh: /jffs/scripts/amtm: not found

Installing Entware via amtm.
  1. SSH into the router with PuTTY
  2. Type '/jffs/scripts/amtm' without the quotes and hit Enter
  3. using amtm, install Entware
  4. Wait for Entware install to be completed

I see that you figured it out but for others who might be having issues and if they plan on using Diversion you can kill two birds with one stone by just installing Diversion. It will install Entware as part of it's install.

i have to use /jffs/addons/amtm
;)
Depending on the firmware version you are using, the full path differs.
For newer firmware versions that include amtm, simply enter
Code:
amtm
On older firmwares its
Code:
/jffs/scripts/amtm

1. Click USB Mode option to use 'USB 2.0'
Is this still necessary over using USB3?

Edit: I don't know why the quote function changed it to step 1, its step 3 in your guide.

I have a situation where I needed to update to 384.18. I was running nsrum, so I restored the nvram then copied the jffs files from the backup. After rebooting a few times, now when I run amtm, and try to access a script that I did not manually reinstall from github, I get this for all remaining scripts. Here is an example in trying to do scribe::

/usr/sbin/amtm: line 3: /jffs/scripts/scribe: Permission denied

What I want to do is delete and update all those scripts but I cannot because of this problem. What do I do?

Update: I may have figured it out. If I go to /jffs/scripts and delete those scripts, then amtm becomes happy again, and I can reinstall those scripts. Still, could amtm be updated to fix this problem?

Further update: I figured out that the linux permissions did not carry over from when I copied them over from the backup file. I need to change the linux permissions to 755 for those scripts, then all seems to be happy.

Last edited:
Is this still necessary over using USB3?

Edit: I don't know why the quote function changed it to step 1, its step 3 in your guide.

It's only necessary if you don't want (but have) interference on the 2.4 Band.

This is a great step by step. Last time I touched jffs was 15 years ago, so its great who try and learn it again.

Question I have is, I understand the USB is good for file swapping and script repositories. How big of a drive would I need? Thanks!

Thank you @Jcquantum.

Just a few points.

First, with RMerlin 384.15_0 and later (currently, I suggest flashing the 384.19 Beta 2), there is no need to 'install' amtm (it is included in the firmware by default).

Secondly, if you'll be installing Skynet (highly recommended), then you'll need at least a 1GB swap file (not partition), but I and amtm suggest a 2GB swap file instead.

Finally, for the size of the drive, this post may help.

Hi @L&LD ! I wanted to ask,
1) Is there a backup feature for the settings like what scripts have been installed already?
2) Everytime a firmware gets updated or down graded, do I have to re-run the process of installs?
3) watching some YouTube videos, are there scripts for IDP and IPS types?
4) Can you recommend any good DNScrypt script information install page like yours? I tried it on my own, and probably went wrong on one turn and made my router have issues

thank you!

1) each script has its own backup process or procedures. Alternatively, many copy the entire USB drive where Entware and the swap file reside.

2) to be included in amtm, they need to conform to the standards that @thelonelycoder sets. While within the script, usually pressing 'u' and following the prompts will update the script fully to the latest.

3) Suricata?

4) amtm includes a very good DNSscrypt installer.

See the links in the link below for further info on each script.

Suricata is IDS/IPS engine. Nothing to do with QoS. I personally wouldn't run it on AIO router hardware.
Read more in Suricata thread and decide for yourself:

I haven't had the chance to try it yet. Give it a go and see if it works for you.

Just a hint: properly set Suricata on my x86 pfSense appliance is taking >2GB RAM and 40% of Intel C3558 quad-core 2.2GHz CPU. What do you have in your AIO router available? I don't even push 400Mbps through. This is why I would not run it on AIO router. Too heavy for the hardware. This router needs to do other things too. Folks in Suricata thread may disagree. It's OK.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!