What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is this normal or did I fudge somewhere? My Ram is full but swap file is not being used.

I have diversion, skynet, and flexqos installed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210214-210631__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20210214-210631__01.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 216
My experience, for what it's worth, is that that high ram usage is a result of misconfiguration that can be seen as frequent errors in your system log. I had this in condition when I went from the 384 code base to the 386 code base without doing a factory reset. If I were you, I'd do a factory reset and slowly rebuild your router (painful, I know) starting with the simplest configuration and then adding complexity in small steps. As you add a component, watch the logs and the ram and be patient - the network uses tables and things populate slowly. Also, I'm somewhat leary of the swap file. I have a swap, but like you, I'm not sure it is effectively used. Anyway, after during a factory reset and being very cautious in configuration, I have a router that now runs with about 40 to 45% free ram.

My experience, for what it's worth, is that that high ram usage is a result of misconfiguration that can be seen as frequent errors in your system log. I had this in condition when I went from the 384 code base to the 386 code base without doing a factory reset. If I were you, I'd do a factory reset and slowly rebuild your router (painful, I know) starting with the simplest configuration and then adding complexity in small steps. As you add a component, watch the logs and the ram and be patient - the network uses tables and things populate slowly. Also, I'm somewhat leary of the swap file. I have a swap, but like you, I'm not sure it is effectively used. Anyway, after during a factory reset and being very cautious in configuration, I have a router that now runs with about 40 to 45% free ram.

Thanks, though I did exactly that when I flashed 381.1. Not saying I didn't drop the ball somewhere but hoping someone can help root cause without having to do it all over.

@Impaler614 don't overthink this. This is normal. The swap file will be used when it needs to be. And the RAM will be released to be used where needed (if needed).

Is there any specific reason amtm isn't recognizing/displaying that I've got v386.1_2 on my router? usually it's pretty good at following along...

Which router? Have you rebooted and waited for the router to settle (around 15 minutes) before checking again? Can you provide a screen snip?

Which router? Have you rebooted and waited for the router to settle (around 15 minutes) before checking again? Can you provide a screen snip?
rebooted after flashing updated FW, about 48hrs ago:

Attachments

• amtm.jpg
    amtm.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 166
  • tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 178
I guess the 'name' is too long. :)

(Same thing here, I hadn't noticed).

If you look when you first ssh into the router, it is the full version shown.

I guess the 'name' is too long. :)

(Same thing here, I hadn't noticed).

If you look when you first ssh into the router, it is the full version shown.
Thank you. Formatting is my guess. better it works than look pretty.

Hi, thsnks for the excellent huide, it made my journey into this area painless.

But I do have a question. When my AX86U restarted today after a power outage some of the UI pages disappeared. SkyNet is still there but the uiScribe and spdMerlin pages are no longer available.

The scripts are still running but the UI pages have gone.

How do I get them back please?

@rpalmer68 you're welcome. Glad it was of use. :)

There is ongoing work being done about missing GUI pages. @Jack Yaz and others are working as we speak to eradicate them.

You can try to reboot the router and wait for 15 minutes or so and see if all your installed scripts appear.

You can also use the 'Better search' feature at the top of the page to learn more about this issue.

@L&LD
I'm curious if you are going to do an update to your Step-By-Step install/help guide, due to the new scripts released?

@Clark Griswald, I am hoping to, but work and health issues keep getting in the way. :)

@L&LD I can well understand the limitations imposed by health issues, I have that bug bear myself but if you can ever find the time please believe me that it would be well worth while Sir.

It is no exaggeration to say that this tutorial alone is responsible for me being able to jump on the “merlin train” in the way I did. I bought an AX88u never having an idea that Asuswrt-Merlin was even a thing and never having run a non standard firmware on a piece of routing equipment .... 3 days later there I was with diversion, skynet, scmerlin etc installed, configured and making life so much easier. Obviously I owe a big debt to the authors of all the add on packages we all do, but if was your efforts that allowed me to put it all together and be running in a very short time frame. With your patient instruction You fill an important role that Merlin and the other developers do not always have time for. You make it accessible to the newer, older and less technical users.

Your posts are always a “must read”. Also the matter of fact way you accept tips and corrections from the various authors and power users inspires confidence and lends to your credibility

Regards

Ari

If I want to "start over" by deleting everything in my USB drive and reinstalling amtm from scratch, is there a procedure I need to follow (is this even a good idea).

I made a mess of things with my unbound settings and think it would be easier for me to get back to where I want to be by starting over. I tried uninstalling unbound but I don't think it helped.

^^^ His "nuclear reset" listing worked fine for when I started over after the 384.18/19 mess I encountered. I moved nothing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!