What's new

amtm amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Router: RT-N66W
FW: 380.69 (Merlin)

curl -V
Code:
curl 7.54.1 (mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2n
Release-Date: 2017-06-14
Protocols: file ftp ftps http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s rtsp smb smbs smtp smtps tftp
Features: IPv6 Largefile NTLM NTLM_WB SSL TLS-SRP UnixSockets HTTPS-proxy

which curl
Code:
/usr/sbin/curl

that long command :)
Code:
Let me check that on my Mips router, just have to update it first.

When I try to update with u, I get an error:

Code:
 What do you want to do?   u
(23) Failed writing body

---------------| INFO |----------------

No new version is available,
 do you want to update anyway?

---------------------------------------

What would be the cause (and fix for sure)?

Thanks in advance,
That only happens on the MIPS based routers. curl on ARM does not throw that error. @RMerlin any idea why only the MIPS routers have that?
I understand the error but do not know why the two platforms act differently.
My 87U on 380.69:
Code:
curl 7.54.1 (arm-unknown-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2n zlib/1.2.5
Protocols: file ftp ftps http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s rtsp smb smbs smtp smtps tftp
Features: IPv6 Largefile NTLM NTLM_WB SSL libz TLS-SRP UnixSockets HTTPS-proxy
The 66U on 380.69:
Code:
curl 7.54.1 (mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2n
Features: IPv6 Largefile NTLM NTLM_WB SSL TLS-SRP UnixSockets HTTPS-proxy

That only happens on the MIPS based routers. curl on ARM does not throw that error. @RMerlin any idea why only the MIPS routers have that?

What error message?

I see no real reason for curl to behave differently under MIPS. The only real difference I see between your two pastes are it seems the MIPS build might be missing zlib support perhaps.

What error message?

I see no real reason for curl to behave differently under MIPS. The only real difference I see between your two pastes are it seems the MIPS build might be missing zlib support perhaps.

This is the error we're talking about.

I've installed zlib and tried and got that curl error again so don't think that the culprit is zlib support. Btw, @thelonelycoder pushed an update that fixes the error.

What error message?

I've fixed it with -N switch in curl. The error was '(23) Failed writing body'. It's solved for me but I'm still puzzled why MIPS curl would end the stream while ARM does not.

@thelonelycoder Feature request. Any way to add the nvram-save utility by @john9527 into the menu. I'm thinking auto install if it can be. This is one of the best scripts out there for us. I'll let this sink in a bit before I elaborate. ;)
Looks like I have to pass on integrating the NVRAM Save/Restore Utility by @john9527 for a simple reason:
Searching high and low, I've found no way to download with wget/curl, let alone get the download link for the latest zip file in an automated way.
If anyone has a working ash shell script to do that let me know.

Looks like I have to pass on integrating the NVRAM Save/Restore Utility by @john9527 for a simple reason:
Searching high and low, I've found no way to download with wget/curl, let alone get the download link for the latest zip file in an automated way.
If anyone has a working ash shell script to do that let me know.
Please hold off on it for right now...I'm planning a major re-write for next year which I plan to put on github.

Please hold off on it for right now...I'm planning a major re-write for next year which I plan to put on github.
2018 is going to be another great year! At least around here.

Since @bigeyes0x0 is absent/busy I'm going to fork his dnscrypt installer, make the necessary change and host it on my Github page.
Then I use that link in amtm for the time being.
I hope bigeyes0x0 is otherwise well and we'll eventually hear from him.

Maintainer fixed it silently days ago. No comment.

Last edited:
amtm 1.0 is now available

What's new in v1.0
Bumped version number to 1.0, first stable release!
New: Swap file management
Changed: Various typos and fixes

Fixed by Author silently (argh!!): dnscrypt installer works again through amtm

@thelonelycoder This is awesome. A simple powerful tool. It will help a lot of people man!

Hi, I just started using ab-solution, amtm and pixelserv-tls and setting everything up with amtm just went flawless. Realy nice job on both amtm and ab-solution!
sorry for the newb questions, but I was just wondering two things:

1. do ab-solution, amtm and pixelserv survive a fw upgrade?
2. when do I create a swap file? When my routers memory starts getting full or does it have other advantages? I currently run 25-30% memory on day to day use.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

1. do ab-solution, amtm and pixelserv survive a fw upgrade?

Yes

2. when do I create a swap file? When my routers memory starts getting full or does it have other advantages? I currently run 25-30% memory on day to day use.

This will prevent the router from crashing under heavy memory load, this can happen with larger blocking files and things like samba usage. For a lot of users its probably not needed just yet, but it doesn't hurt to have one.

Yes

This will prevent the router from crashing under heavy memory load, this can happen with larger blocking files and things like samba usage. For a lot of users its probably not needed just yet, but it doesn't hurt to have one.

Thanks for the quick reply and clarification! I like to understand everything and set it up correctly step by step instead of enabling things without knowing what they do.

Only thing left todo now is importing the pixelserv CA cert into my clients and then I'ts time to look into Skynet :)

@thelonelycoder and @Adamm Thanks a million for all your hard work, it's really appreciated!

Sorry for this ignorant question. But is installing pixelserv from amtm different than installing it from inside AB-Solution?

Thanks

Sorry for this ignorant question. But is installing pixelserv from amtm different than installing it from inside AB-Solution?

Thanks
Very much so. Wording in the info text does not say so but recommends to install it through AB-Solution.

Installing Entware and/or pixelserv-tls trough amtm installs it with default settings which are not optimized and may not work with AB-Solution.
Except pixelserv-tls is already installed by AB-Solution and you install the beta version through amtm. This works flawless.

As it says in the info text, do the Entware and pixelserv-tls install through AB-Solution, then if you want to install the beta pixelserv version, do it in amtm.
With the necessary update for amtm when AB-Solution 4.0 comes out, this option will be removed in amtm and directly handled by AB-Solution.

thelonelycoder, it is nice to be away from the scene for a short time (2months) and return to find so much has happened!

I'm dragging my feet as long as I can when it comes to upgrading my n66u (so no skynet for me). Does amtm add convenience if I'm not running skynet or dnscrypt? I ask because it seems ab-solution manages entware-ng and pixelserv-tls on it's own already, but I'm a newb who is likely missing something in that statement. I know I'm probably an edge case, but what are the chances of integrating redhat's ya-malware script to amtm?

Kev

thelonelycoder, it is nice to be away from the scene for a short time (2months) and return to find so much has happened!

I'm dragging my feet as long as I can when it comes to upgrading my n66u (so no skynet for me). Does amtm add convenience if I'm not running skynet or dnscrypt? I ask because it seems ab-solution manages entware-ng and pixelserv-tls on it's own already, but I'm a newb who is likely missing something in that statement. I know I'm probably an edge case, but what are the chances of integrating redhat's ya-malware script to amtm?

Kev
amtm is a shortcut manager. If you remember the single command to start AB (it's ab-solution, type ab and use the TAB key to auto-complete the rest) then you don't need amtm.
I'd have to look into ya-malware again and see how it best could be added to amtm. For MIPS routers such as yours that would be beneficial as Skynet will not install on them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!