What's new

Another Cheap Moca 2.0 non-bonded adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Samir

Very Senior Member
Just saw these and never heard of them before. They are similar to the g1100 units I have that have a non-bonded moca 2.0 that I hit 500Mbps with between two units connected together. The good thing about these things is that they are CHEAP at $28 shipped:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arris-Fron...riorityMailPaddedFlatRateEnvelope!35613!US!-1

You can even find them for a bit less, and price seems to be coming down:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Frontier-F...496816&hash=item5b588b9c68:g:z5MAAOSwEJZdHNm1

Why do these present a good value? Well, they're more than just a moca adapter. They're a 4 port switch, an AC access point, and I think even the usb port can be used for storage.

So you can use a pair of these to have improved wifi, more wired devices, and a moca network all at once in one device. :)

Ok, another FiOS router that can be repurposed as a MoCA adapter+. Thanks for the heads-up.

Makes sense to consider these over the WCB3000N, except where cost is strictly the driver.

Oh for the small increase in cost, these definitely make more sense than the WCB3000N since it's 2.0 vs 1.0. Even when not bonded 2.0, speeds far exceed 1.0 speeds. :)

Oh for the small increase in cost, these definitely make more sense than the WCB3000N since it's 2.0 vs 1.0. Even when not bonded 2.0, speeds far exceed 1.0 speeds.
Entirely subjective, weighted by each individual, thus the “strictly the driver” caveat. (note: The WCB3000N is MoCA 1.1 w/ 2 GigE ports, and capable of up to 150 Mbps, for just $17. Been as low as $10.)

From what I can tell, one difference between these and other FiOS gateways is that these must not be capable of a built-in MoCA WAN connection (via MoCA Band C), as the install info seems to require a separate MEB1100 MoCA adapter for MoCA WAN installs.

Entirely subjective, weighted by each individual, thus the “strictly the driver” caveat. (note: The WCB3000N is MoCA 1.1 w/ 2 GigE ports, and capable of up to 150 Mbps, for just $17. Been as low as $10.)

From what I can tell, one difference between these and other FiOS gateways is that these must not be capable of a built-in MoCA WAN connection (via MoCA Band C), as the install info seems to require a separate MEB1100 MoCA adapter for MoCA WAN installs.
Yep, and for $10 more, I think these present a pretty nice value being able to hit almost 500Mbs. :)

Awesome research! It's details like this that helps one figure out the best device for the task at hand. :)

NVG468MQ ... specs, eBay search
  • Concurrent Wi-Fi support for 802.11b/g/n and 802.11ac
  • Four-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet switch, RJ-45
  • MoCA 2.0 Profile B
  • USB 3.0 network interface
upload_2019-8-4_14-2-33.png

NVG468MQ ... specs, eBay search
  • Concurrent Wi-Fi support for 802.11b/g/n and 802.11ac
  • Four-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet switch, RJ-45
  • MoCA 2.0 Profile B
  • USB 3.0 network interface
View attachment 18886

So does this need the MEB1100 MOCA adapter at each unit? I currently have a old Netgear MCA1001 MOCA v1.1 in three rooms currently. I would like to have the extra gigabit ports instead of a switch at each unit and replace it with this. It would clean up a lot of clutter.

So does this need the MEB1100 MOCA adapter at each unit? I currently have a old Netgear MCA1001 MOCA v1.1 in three rooms currently. I would like to have the extra gigabit ports instead of a switch at each unit and replace it with this. It would clean up a lot of clutter.
I think these would definitely clean that up and increase the speeds to boot as they are moca 2.0. :)

I think these would definitely clean that up and increase the speeds to boot as they are moca 2.0. :)

So my Netgear MCA1001 have a COAX in from the modem and COAX out to TV. This doesn't have it. Will this be able to do it?

I want to buy 3 of those listed but can't see how to do it.

you would have to use a splitter ahead of the unit (and take the 3.5 dB signal loss from the connection. Maybe not an issue for MOCA, but possible for OTA TV signal.

you would have to use a splitter ahead of the unit (and take the 3.5 dB signal loss from the connection. Maybe not an issue for MOCA, but possible for OTA TV signal.
Yep, like he said. :D

How many of the locations have TV? Would all of them need a splitter?

So does this need the MEB1100 MOCA adapter at each unit?
No, the MEB1100 is *only* for making a coax MoCA WAN connection with the ONT, if necessary, via MoCA Band C, channel C4 (rather than an Ethernet WAN connection). For whatever reason, the NVG468MQ only supports the MoCA LAN function, unlike the earlier MI424-WR and G1100 routers.

I currently have a old Netgear MCA1001 MOCA v1.1 in three rooms currently. I would like to have the extra gigabit ports instead of a switch at each unit and replace it with this. It would clean up a lot of clutter.
So, yes, if the NVG468MQ can be down-configured to just a MoCA adapter, then it would very much be an improvement on a MoCA 1.1 adapter and network switch. (The NVG468MQ is standard MoCA 2.0 with GigE ports, so up to 400 Mbps throughput, rather than the 100 Mbps max of an MCA1001 link.)

So my Netgear MCA1001 have a COAX in from the modem and COAX out to TV. This doesn't have it. Will this be able to do it?

I want to buy 3 of those listed but can't see how to do it.
Are you running OTA antenna signals or cable TV on the same coax as your MoCA network?

IF you're running OTA antenna signals to your TV, then you can improve on the splitter suggestion from @degrub...
you would have to use a splitter ahead of the unit (and take the 3.5 dB signal loss from the connection.
... and save 2.5+ dB by using an antenna/satellite diplexer, rather than a 2-way splitter, to intelligently direct the OTA signals to the TV and the MoCA signals to the MoCA adapter. (Basically using an external diplexer where MoCA adapters with pass-through ports use an internal diplexer.)

Holland DPD2 diplexer specs (PDF)
dpd2.jpeg
DPD2 diplexer pass-band frequencies:
UHF/VHF: 40-806 MHz
SAT: 950-2150 MHz
IN/OUT: 40-2150 MHz

Noting... MoCA 2.0 extended Band D range is 1125-1675 MHz, within the diplexer "SAT" port pass-band.​

p.s. Can't similarly use a diplexer for a cable TV setup since the diplexer’s UHF/VHF pass-band may be narrower than the frequency range used by a given cable provider, and the provider can alter frequencies at any time. (And I've not seen a cable/MoCA diplexer available via retail.)

Last edited:
Has anyone seen instructions for configuring the NVG468MQ as a simple MoCA adapter — with optional wireless access point?

Has anyone seen instructions for configuring the NVG468MQ as a simple MoCA adapter — with optional wireless access point?
I haven't seen any instructions, but I'm thinking it would be similar to the g1100's that I have since they were also frontier branded.

It's kind of a convoluted interface, but once you get the hang of it, you can find where the dhcp server is (to shut that off), and where the moca can be enabled/disabled. Also, in my frontier unit, there's a table that shows all the moca units on the moca network and the speeds negotiated between them. Mine were at 620Mbps or 630Mbps and iperf tested just shy of 500Mbps. I would expect this NVG unit to be similar in setup and performance since it's for the same isp.

Well, I just ordered two of these to replace 2 of my 4 Actiontec MI824WR units and go along with the MoCA 2.0 built-in the Xfinity Gateway. (I would have preferred to get the GoCoax MoCA 2.5 units, but they have not been in stock for a few months and I have not heard when they will be in stock.

After ordering these I went back through this thread and realized nobody has actually explicitly stated they were able to get into the GUI and set these up...I think they have from what is implied...so if anyone can confirm and perhaps share any potholes or pitfalls to avoid?

Hoping that this will cut back on some of the buffering when attempting to stream from my Plex Media Server to internal network connected TVs, Roku and Apple TVs...

Well, I just ordered two of these to replace 2 of my 4 Actiontec MI824WR units and go along with the MoCA 2.0 built-in the Xfinity Gateway. (I would have preferred to get the GoCoax MoCA 2.5 units, but they have not been in stock for a few months and I have not heard when they will be in stock.

After ordering these I went back through this thread and realized nobody has actually explicitly stated they were able to get into the GUI and set these up...I think they have from what is implied...so if anyone can confirm and perhaps share any potholes or pitfalls to avoid?

Hoping that this will cut back on some of the buffering when attempting to stream from my Plex Media Server to internal network connected TVs, Roku and Apple TVs...
I don't have any experience with them, but a quick search yielded this so there should be access to the gui:
https://setuprouter.com/router/arris/nvg468mq/login.htm

I'd be interested in hearing if this works for you. The main steps would be.

1. Disable uplink, broadband connection.
2. Disable DHCP.
3. Give it a fixed local IP address on your main router's subnet that's not in use.

If you can do 2 and 3 in one step it'll make things easier, since once your connection to it will get screwed up once those go through.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!