What's new

Motorola MM1000 MoCA 2.0 Adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Internet Man

With Actiontec releasing a MoCA 2.5 adapter (only through certain ISPs) I was surprised to notice that Motorola appears to have just released a new MoCA 2.0 (1 Gbps) adapter that is currently $60 on Amazon individually or $118 for a pair. A pair of these would be cheaper than the 2 pack of Actiontec's MoCA 2.0 ECB6200's that is typically sale priced at $140-$150.

Product Page: Motorola MM1000 MoCA Bonded 2.0 Adapter

Zoom Begins Shipments of Motorola MM1000 MoCA Adapter - 1/3/2018

Note that the user manual mentions that a PoE (point-of-entry) filter is included with the MM1000.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, these seem to be unmanaged/able adapters, totally plug and play, so you can't get into even a simple web page to view stats on these. It would have been nice for troubleshooting but I can't complain about the price.

From what I can tell, these seem to be unmanaged/able adapters, totally plug and play, so you can't get into even a simple web page to view stats on these. It would have been nice for troubleshooting but I can't complain about the price.
I tend to think of these as imaginary Ethernet cables.

There is a web interface at 192.168.0.2 when ethernet wired directly to the MM1000 though. With the original firmware it provided a Device Info page but version 1.0.0.8 or later added a Security page which lets you specify a security key

Last edited:
They sure are neat. I noticed they've suddenly gone 'unavailable' on Amazon as I was thinking of getting another one. I sure hope they're not getting pulled off for some stupid reason and just a temporary supply issue.

They sure are neat. I noticed they've suddenly gone 'unavailable' on Amazon as I was thinking of getting another one. I sure hope they're not getting pulled off for some stupid reason and just a temporary supply issue.

Aaaand it's back. Damn you Amazon Prime and your wonderful wares.

EDIT: While I love how much cheaper these are to the Actiontec, there is another brand that sells for a few dollars cheaper called Kiwee Broadband. Anyone have any experience with these?

Last edited:
Great to see someone other than actiontec making moca products. Hopefully more vendors will start producing these as 2.5Gb ethernet starts getting adopted.

I just ordered a couple more of these and noticed they now include a POE filter and some screws for mounting the device. Don't think I need the filter with FIOS but it sure was nice of them just in case I do.

How long can a single run be? I have a site with an approx run of 700ft.
300 ft. node-to-node. Best Practices doc (pg. 19) suggests 1000 ft. for a point-to-point direct connection between two MoCA nodes.

http://www.mocalliance.org/technology/Final_Best-Practices-for-Installation-of-MoCA_170516rev01.pdf

09EE264B-0C8F-4F58-A362-D9C40CFE3E07.jpeg

300 ft. node-to-node. Best Practices doc (pg. 19) suggests 1000 ft. for a point-to-point direct connection between two MoCA nodes.

http://www.mocalliance.org/technology/Final_Best-Practices-for-Installation-of-MoCA_170516rev01.pdf

View attachment 14804
Thanks!!!! This would be a single unbroken run of new RG6 with ECB at each end. The marketing of some units is very misleading. 1.5mi and Gigabit for example when actually data rate supported is only ~112Mbps and only connects to your NIC at Gb. Lame.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AMCKN80/?tag=snbforums-20

Considering these instead:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013J7O3X0/?tag=snbforums-20

Use fiber for that long of a run or you can have ground loops that will burn up your modems.

just remember that that setup was in a lab for testing purposes. Not outside.

Best Practices doc (pg. 19) suggests 1000 ft. for a point-to-point direct connection between two MoCA nodes.
Given 6.6dB+ loss, minimum, per 100ft of RG6 at MoCA frequencies, I’m not sure how the Best Practices doc can suggest a 1000ft connection ... considering the 57dB loss max.

Use fiber for that long of a run or you can have ground loops that will burn up your modems.

just remember that that setup was in a lab for testing purposes. Not outside.

Thanks. Pulled plenty of copper but never fiber. Seems there are simple ethernet to fiber products- and pre-made cable w connectors. I just wonder what the process is like if the connectors get damaged and have to be replaced. Sounds like upwards of $300 in tools etc. Best be careful and use pre-terminated?

Ethernet to fiber:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXRL34L/?tag=snbforums-20

1000' cable
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751VZMLR/?tag=snbforums-20

fiber you "lay" rather than pull, unless there is a supporting messenger cable. No stress on the fiber.
There are minimum radii for turns that have to be met. Can cause issues with signal as well as mechanical issues (crack the fiber)
Always leave a few extra feet near a termination to allow for end repair.
Protect the cable in the trench or use a wire cable supported aerial.
include at least 100 % spares.
We always used 2 pair fiber cable for any minimum pull even if only one pair needed. 4 pair for outdoor aerial runs.
Termination of ends is not hard, but it helps to have experience/training. If this is commercial, i would have a contractor do the run, cable testing, and certify the terminations.

Using these to connect eero mesh nodes at my house, and they've been plug-and-play. It was up to me to make my coax network MoCA 2.0 compatible, but once that was done, I plugged and they played *smile*. Just needed to replace a couple of splitters, and things were off and running. Maybe I was just lucky, but I've got no complaints.

Just changed to fiber internet from Comcast, and they're still doing just fine.

I just used two MM1000 adapters to replace the wireless bridge that I was using to connect devices in my living room to the network. The bridge was a 3x3:3 802.11ac router running FreshTomato. The signal was fairly poor so the reported link speed was often under 400Mbps. With MoCA in place, I re-configured the bridge as an access point to improve the wireless signal on that side of the house.

One MM1000 was purchased from Amazon in early December while another was purchased from Best Buy in late December. The first thing I did was plug a laptop directly in to each MM1000 to check their firmware version. Both arrived with the latest 1.0.0.8 firmware already installed. While in each device's configuration I enabled encryption and set a shared security key.

The cable company had installed an Antronix VRA900B powered amplifier which would not properly pass MoCA signals so I added a Monoprice - 4-Way Coaxial Splitter which passes 5-2400MHz and connected the two cables which would connect the MM1000 adapters to this splitter then connected the input of the splitter to one of the outputs of the amplified splitter. I don't think that a PoE filter is necessary since the amplifier should block MoCA from reaching neighboring homes and the security key should be an extra layer of protection if someone decided to connect to the coax outside of my house. I haven't had a chance to run any benchmarks but streaming services are noticeably faster and smart bulbs/switches that connect to the access point respond more quickly.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!