What's new

Any 3rd-Party Firmware Really Worth Installing on R7000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AntonK

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I know to an extend it depends what your needs are, but is there any really good reason to replace Netgear's stock firmware with a 3rd-party product on the R7000 Nighthawk if you're an average home user who streams HD TV, games, and browses? Do you necessarily lose CTF or any other valuable stock firmware features by going to mod firmware?

I do like to tinker with router firmware, even if just to occupy myself on a slow evening.

Just curious about what some of the senior users who have a better understanding of stock v. mod think.

Thanks,
Anton

Haven't looked at this one in a while personally, but it looks like it's still alive. It's called "asuswrt", and it is a port of RMerlin's work on the Asus router line to the R7000. I used this for some time, and it worked well for me. Not sure of the state of CTF with it:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

Just be aware that the Vortex port of Asuswrit-Merlin is not open source and is hosted on a Russian server. That might mean something or nothing at all.

Advanced Tomato would probably be fun to play with https://advancedtomato.com/downloads/router/r7000
Advanced Tomato would be my recommendation as well. I've used it on several devices for over 2.5 years and quite enjoy the interface and feature set. To my knowledge the only thing you'd lose from the stock Genie firmware would be the integration with Netgear's mobile apps. Every other aspect is far superior, and the IPv6 functionality is now pretty much turnkey for most major ISPs and even some regional ones. If you like to tinker, then you'll find endless hours of engagement with just a common USB flash drive and the entware-ng repository. Jacky444, the developer of the front-end, as well as Shibby himself until recently, can be found on another forum and are both real sweethearts when it comes to fielding inquiries.

Personally, the issue of AdvancedTomato is that it's not a firmware but a GUI for Tomato, which is effectively the firmware and unfortunately it's not updated very often - the latest version v.140 goes back to May 2017... so no security patches since almost 7 months

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!