What's new

Tutorial AdGuard Home - adblocker - Clean install on Asus Merlin (No 3rd party scripts !!!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WAN DNS setting:
Connect to DNS Server automatically = YES

LAN DNS setting:
DNS and WINS Server Setting -> DNS Server 1 / 2 = ""

Computer connecting with LAN cable can access Internet.
Phones connecting with WIFI cannot access internet. (Typing 1.1.1.1 in browser goes to CF. So it is DNS problem)

WAN DNS setting:
Connect to DNS Server automatically = YES

LAN DNS setting:
DNS and WINS Server Setting -> DNS Server 1 / 2 = ""

Computer connecting with LAN cable can access Internet.
Phones connecting with WIFI cannot access internet. (Typing 1.1.1.1 in browser goes to CF. So it is DNS problem)
make sure your router is advertising itself as DNS and you have no other dns modifications that can conflict. also what install method did you use?

make sure your router is advertising itself as DNS and you have no other dns modifications that can conflict. also what install method did you use?
#3 method.
I have flashed ASUS-Merlin to AX3000. Installed Entware with the built-in amtm.
AdGuardHome ARMv7 is used. ( https://static.adguard.com/adguardhome/release/AdGuardHome_linux_armv7.tar.gz )
The default network of AX3000 is 192.168.50.x. I have changed this in /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf

I have tried connecting my computer in WIFI. "dig facebook.com" does not show any query record in AdGuardHome.
I have made the following changes and it is good now.

WAN DNS setting:
Connect to DNS Server automatically = NO

LAN DNS setting:
DNS and WINS Server Setting -> DNS Server 1 = "192.168.50.1"

Previously I have AdGuardHome installed on a server computer 192.168.50.3. I have to specifying this IP in LAN DNS Server like above.
I just wonder if this is the normal practice.

Thanks.

#3 method.
AdGuardHome ARMv7 is used. ( https://static.adguard.com/adguardhome/release/AdGuardHome_linux_armv7.tar.gz )
The default network of AX3000 is 192.168.50.x. I have changed this in /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf

I have tried connecting my computer in WIFI. "dig facebook.com" does not show any query record in AdGuardHome.

WAN DNS setting:

LAN DNS setting:

Previously I have AdGuardHome installed on a server computer 192.168.50.3. I have to specifying this IP in LAN DNS Server like above.

Thanks.
what is the output of uname -m

if it is aarch64
you need the 64bit version

if it is armv7
you need the armv5 version

#3 method.

WAN DNS setting:

LAN DNS setting:

Thanks.
You need to leave wan dns set to automatic, other wise your router will not get proper time ergo adguardhome will not be able to encrypt your dns and it will fall back to plain text if you use encrypted dns

it is because dnsmasq is not set to port 53, only adguardhome is. So you should only see adguardhome.
When i try to leave LAN dns settings 1 and 2 empty, it doesn't work. (Wifi device)

WAN is set to automatic.

Did I do something wrong with installation? I followed the guide in post 3.

Or is it maybe because there's another router behind my router?

When i try to leave LAN dns settings 1 and 2 empty, it doesn't work. (Wifi device)

WAN is set to automatic.

You need to make sure you have the little box checked that tells the router to advertise it self.

1641110778551.png

WAN is set to automatic.

IF you are in double nat, that can cause an issue for devices on the other side of the NAT.

I did. But doesn't work.
My device tells me there's no internet. And i can't go to any site :(
well if you have a double Nat (two router situation), clients on one side of the Nat (Routers) will not be able to use the DNS server running on the other unless you setup the appropriate firewall rules and/ or static routes. (or get rid of the extra router.) This is not something this tutorial will be able to solve. Best wishes. Let us know if you figure it out.

well if you have a double Nat (two router situation), clients on one side of the Nat (Routers) will not be able to use the DNS server running on the other unless you setup the appropriate firewall rules and/ or static routes. (or get rid of the extra router.) This is not something this tutorial will be able to solve. Best wishes. Let us know if you figure it out.
I'm temporarily living at my GFs parents for transition to new house.
So their router is the main one, and I've put up mine for my own stuff with the AdGuard.

I don't mind filling in the DNS addresses in the 2 boxes at LAN settings, cause that works.

Thanks for helping anyway :D

Hi,

in the router app on android => settings => related apps => here you can also find "Aduard" , can be enabled

what does it it? isnt this the same? thnx for feedback

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!