What's new

Tutorial AdGuard Home - adblocker - Clean install on Asus Merlin (No 3rd party scripts !!!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Bokkoman

were you having this same issue? if so, that explains why you couldn't get anything to work. the tar command needed a dash in the instructions provided by the post. If you want to retry, you might be able to get it to work.
I had figured that out already. I compared it with the first post and saw it was incorrect.

Do you maybe have an idea to use the AdGuard auto installer? I think that would be the easiest solution. Except it is saying that curl isn't found out something.

I had figured that out already. I compared it with the first post and saw it was incorrect.

Do you maybe have an idea to use the AdGuard auto installer? I think that would be the easiest solution. Except it is saying that curl isn't found out something.
It won't work because it is not designed to install adguardhome on busy box. It expects you to be running a full blown Linux setup like on an rpi. It attempts to install adguardhome accordingly. Besides if it were the easiest solution it would have been used in the tutorial.

That sounds interesting have you a link to the auto installer AdGuard is (my opinion) the best ad remover and I must say possibly the most user friendly of all, I did use pi hole for may years that is excellent but I did find it blocked a little too much I was disarming it for quite a lot of the times despite a massive whitelist.

That sounds interesting have you a link to the auto installer AdGuard is (my opinion) the best ad remover and I must say possibly the most user friendly of all, I did use pi hole for may years that is excellent but I did find it blocked a little too much I was disarming it for quite a lot of the times despite a massive whitelist.
The binary is a quote auto installer. Good luck finding a tutorial for using it on asuswrt merlin. Like it will help if the initial tutorial directions of this thread didn't. You might be able to get it to work on an rpi raspbian, Debian, Ubuntu, or archlinux install which is what the autoinstaller was intended for.

It won't work because it is not designed to install adguardhome on busy box. It expects you to be running a full blown Linux setup like on an rpi. It attempts to install adguardhome accordingly. Besides if it were the easiest solution it would have been used in the tutorial.
Yeah that makes sense.

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow
The auto installer is in the github get started page:

I finally got it running. Did a complete fresh install.
Though, I do not know what is meant in step 5.

The addresses in the above script need to match your router address and network.

I have no idea what to change. My routers IP is 192.168.2.1 and its name is RT-AC87U-1B60 I believe.
So what exactly do I have to change in the script below?

Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
[ "$(pidof AdGuardHome)" ] && pc_append "port=553" $CONFIG && pc_append "local=/1.168.192.in-addr.arpa/" $CONFIG

Last edited:
I have no idea what to change. My routers IP is 192.168.2.1 and its name is RT-AC87U-1B60 I believe.
The in-addr.arpa directive is the reverse router IP, so this line should read:
Code:
[ "$(pidof AdGuardHome)" ] && pc_append "port=553" $CONFIG && pc_append "local=/2.168.192.in-addr.arpa/" $CONFIG
What is the router name you see?

I finally got it running. Did a complete fresh install.
Though, I do not know what is meant in step 5.

The addresses in the above script need to match your router address and network.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
[ "$(pidof AdGuardHome)" ] && pc_append "port=553" $CONFIG && pc_append "local=/1.168.192.in-addr.arpa/" $CONFIG
Also make sure you place the correct reverse addresses in your adguardhome as well

The in-addr.arpa directive is the reverse router IP, so this line should read:
Code:
[ "$(pidof AdGuardHome)" ] && pc_append "port=553" $CONFIG && pc_append "local=/2.168.192.in-addr.arpa/" $CONFIG
What is the router name you see?

Thank you, that is what I thought and did.
In my Asus router the device name is set to default: RT-AC87U-1B60

Is that what you mean?

Thank you, that is what I thought and did.
In my Asus router the device name is set to default: RT-AC87U-1B60

Is that what you mean?
Yes you should be able to use the router name. Or you could define a domain name on the lan dhcp page of your router and use that. For example

lan

Yes you should be able to use the router name. Or you could define a domain on the lan dhcp page of your router and use that. For example

lan
I set the domainname to lan. Is there something I need to change in that script now?

Code:

I set the domainname to lan. Is there something I need to change in that script now?

Code:
Not here.

is it this in the AdGuard Home DNS settings? At private reverse DNS?

Code:
[/2.168.192.in-addr.arpa/]192.168.2.1:553
[/RT-AC87U-1B60/]192.168.2.1:553
[/lan/]192.168.2.1:553

Also, how do I know if Adguard is doing its job? Can I test it somehow? In the Dashboard I see stuff being blocked.
Just load web pages. If you see less ads then it is working

Edit: Correct that is what you would put. You honestly don't need the router name though since you defined a local domain.

Last edited:
What are the commands/steps require to update the adguard home on the router?
you have to follow the tutorial and do the download procedures for adguardhome steps all over. The binaries to do not automatically update since it is not (and cannot be) installed natively as a service.

If you guys hang tight just a little bit I am in the process of making something to solve all these issues.

hang tight..

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!