What's new

Any reason to put in this new (old switch)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

william13

Occasional Visitor
This is my second topic on this forum. I had a real good experience when I asked about my router so I am turning to my more educated colleagues again.
I have a SB 8200 modem by Aris, a ubiquiti ER-4, and a "NON-MANAGED" switch. I have both wired and unwired wifi. Typically I only use 1 wired pc and a laptop. I do not back up lap because its mosty for browsing. My work place is discarding a HP 1810-24g switch. Apparantly it works but was not needed. I love tinkering. Is there a pragmatic reason that I would want to take out my old switch and put in this managed switch which might be 8 years old?

Unless your curiosity gets the best of you, don't (needlessly) take down a running system.

well, being curious is how we learn...and they did say they love tinkering...

I love tinkering. Is there a pragmatic reason that I would want to take out my old switch and put in this managed switch which might be 8 years old?
I would say 'less likely' for the pragmatic part of the question (unless it's rhetoric. :) However, as a learning experience you don't have to replace anything that works to your liking. You could simply wire it to your network, browse the interface and experiment without locking yourself out of anything. Also, if you happen to have an 1Gbps fibre connection you may get a fractional benefit by using LACPD (which it supports.)
Enjoy the ride!

I would say 'less likely' for the pragmatic part of the question (unless it's rhetoric. :) However, as a learning experience you don't have to replace anything that works to your liking. You could simply wire it to your network, browse the interface and experiment without locking yourself out of anything. Also, if you happen to have an 1Gbps fibre connection you may get a fractional benefit by using LACPD (which it supports.)
Enjoy the ride!
so I can play and not pay!? would i wire it behind the other switch? I have 1.2 gb cable but as per my last forum discussion I am maxed at 940 due to modem unless I want to link aggregate. Is that what you mean?

If your modem supports it, yes. Wire it behind the other switch, or to the router - one wire in, play-only mode... for now.

Switch technology hasn't changed all that much in the past few years, so I would say it never hurts to have a (free) managed switch to play with. You never know, the extra ports or capabilities may come in handy one day.

Switch technology hasn't changed all that much in the past few years, so I would say it never hurts to have a (free) managed switch to play with. You never know, the extra ports or capabilities may come in handy one day.
I was thinking that. I dont have voip and my network backups are long so maybe some day it will help with that. Thanks

OK I have been playing with the HP 1810 behind the unmanaged switch. If I simply wanted to change out my unmanaged for managed would I have to assign ip or could I let it assign by dhcp? Remember I have Arris SB 8200 modem and Ubiquity ER-4. My plans is to change out and then latter on play with Linked aggregation but not immediately. I just want to emulate the unmanaged switch right now. Nothing too compicated.
Thanks
Bill

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!