What's new

New home network suggestions using RT-AX86U and ISP router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kanu2k23

New Around Here
Hey guys,
Really a noob here. I am looking for some suggestions on how to setup my house network. I have a 1GBPS internet connection with whole house wired with cat 5e cables from my basement to all the rooms.
Network equipment:
ONT router (ISP) - dont have access to the web interface of this but it has DHCP enabled (no WiFi but has a 2.5G port) In Basement
Wifi Router (ISP) - have access to the web interface with wifi enabled. On 1st floor
RT AX88U Pro - New I bought, will put merlin firmware
TP Link Archer C7 - Old router using with DD-WRT, was using it in my rental with 3 Wifi SSIDs, (5Ghz, 2Ghz and 2Ghz hidden for my wireless cameras)

Current Setup
ONT-> gigabit switch -> ISP wifi router

Now I need to setup my house with some smart devices, not sure how to set it up. Currently thinking of removing the ISP wifi router completely. Use the TP link with hidden 2.4Ghz wifi for all my smart devices on a different subnet and AX88U Pro for all my personal devices and PC using LAN cable.
How does this sound? any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Really a noob here. I am looking for some suggestions on how to setup my house network. I have a 1GBPS internet connection with whole house wired with cat 5e cables from my basement to all the rooms.
Network equipment:
ONT router (ISP) - dont have access to the web interface of this but it has DHCP enabled (no WiFi but has a 2.5G port) In Basement
Wifi Router (ISP) - have access to the web interface with wifi enabled. On 1st floor
RT AX88U Pro - New I bought, will put merlin firmware
TP Link Archer C7 - Old router using with DD-WRT, was using it in my rental with 3 Wifi SSIDs, (5Ghz, 2Ghz and 2Ghz hidden for my wireless cameras)

Current Setup
ONT-> gigabit switch -> ISP wifi router

Now I need to setup my house with some smart devices, not sure how to set it up. Currently thinking of removing the ISP wifi router completely. Use the TP link with hidden 2.4Ghz wifi for all my smart devices on a different subnet and AX88U Pro for all my personal devices and PC using LAN cable.
How does this sound? any suggestions?

Assuming the ONT is not a router/DHCP server and that one wireless router will cover your space/construction materials (dense/certain materials attenuate WiFi)...

I would first want to try the AX88U high and central on the main level to determine the need for a second AP, if any. This requires two wires... ONT to main level router, and main level router back to main switch/hub...

ONT <wire> AX88U router/AP/DHCP server <wire> switch <wires> clients/switches/APs/nodes at large...

Determine how few APs your space requires and where/how to locate them per your wiring to get coverage for perimeter IoT clients.

Beware new cabling/equipment faults and adding too much WiFi. Introduce one thing at a time and confirm it is working before piling on more; take notes. Save adding bells and whistles until later.

Once you have a first-pass LAN/WLANs layout working with adequate coverage in your space, you can consider how you might dedicate a WLAN to IoT clients, which can be cheap/marginal/troublesome hardware/software/apps... a secondary and often ongoing challenge/nuisance.

Some initial discovery/learning will prepare you to proceed. Keep the router configuration simple until you have the general equipment/layout determined.

Further discovery of ISP equipment may require model numbers/docs.

Hard Reset the ASUSWRT router firmware before you configure it.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

If you are using ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware, you should already know how to build your network. Save adding it until last, assuming you need it... most likely not.

OE

Last edited: