What's new

Any way to encourage handoff?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fingers

Regular Contributor
I have a pair of Linksys LAPAC1750 AP's. Everything is solid and very happy with them, but on mobile phones and tablets ect around the house, they just hang on to the signal until its not there before they swap to the nearer AP.

Is this a device issue (Android) or can the AP's be persauded to give up there hold a little more?

Many thanks

Yes I saw that but also saw some Guru a Linksys board say not to adjust them. I will try that and see if it helps.

Thank you

*Edit*

I have had to keep it on Auto because the other options are: 100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5%.

Anything less than Auto or 100% and there are dead spots in the lower floor. I did enable beamforming but it doesnt seem to have done much.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ok So I moved the AP's further apart, now when I get to the place where the signal is nil, instead of handing over to the AP in the same room, I just get 'Authenticication error'. If I turn WiFi on and off, it connects straight away to the AP in the room. Its all very annoying, surely a system designed this way would enable roaming .

Ok So I moved the AP's further apart, now when I get to the place where the signal is nil, instead of handing over to the AP in the same room, I just get 'Authenticication error'. If I turn WiFi on and off, it connects straight away to the AP in the room. Its all very annoying, surely a system designed this way would enable roaming .
The task of transitioning across access points is mostly up to the client device. It sounds like your device is doing a bad job of it.

Hmm Samsung Note 8...Id assumed it would be perfectly ok?
I think that most clients are generally bad at moving among APs. I used to turn Wi-Fi off and back on when I move between floors to encourage the transition on my phone but found that a single access point provided sufficient coverage and avoided the issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!