What's new

Any Way to Tell if Wireless b\g\n is used?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djtech2k

Regular Contributor
Is there any way to tell which wireless is being used, eg. b/g/n?

My 2. 4ghz wifi speed has gone to trash. I keep moving the channel around and/or letting it set to auto, but its just hardly ever good. I saw the wireless mode setting that says that it can improve performance on some settings, like N only.

So I am trying to find out if I have any devices connecting on the older stuff.

Not sure how accurate this would be, but I would look at the Wireless Log for any device running at 54Mbps or less. But they can’t be in power save mode at the time you check (no P in the Flags column).

Or set it to N only and see which devices are no longer showing in the log (before/after).

Yeh I am hoping to find a better way. There's a lot of ways that would not be accurate, like you mentioned.

You could set the 2.4 GHz to N-Only, then see which device fails to connect.

Yes, I thought about that. I have many devices that connect to wifi so I was trying to avoid that since I may not even remember which ones will be disconnected. For example, I have several Amazon Echo devices, IP Camera's, etc. Was just wondering if there is a way to do it that might be easier. It seems like my 2.4Ghz network is very slow all of a sudden.

With WifiRadar, in the "Wireless Station Statistics", you can see the associated devices, and by clicking one, you see the wireless mode

My 2. 4ghz wifi speed has gone to trash. I keep moving the channel around and/or letting it set to auto, but its just hardly ever good. I saw the wireless mode setting that says that it can improve performance on some settings, like N only.

Disable Airtime Fairness on the 2.4GHz radio - that's likely the easiest way to sort this one...

My Amazon echo devices can and do connect on 5 Ghz so they support more advanced WiFi technologies.

If you look at the Network map, "clients" view list.. there is information about the connection Under client status do a mouse over on the device and look at the connection.

So I am trying to find out if I have any devices connecting on the older stuff.
If you look at the Network map, "clients" view list.. there is information about the connection Under client status do a mouse over on the device and look at the connection
Wow, why didn't I think of that! So mouse over the 2.4 connections, if it's 54 Mbps or less it's likely B/G?

Asus unexpectedly dropped the 384_5329 GPL for the RT-AX88U yesterday. Good news is that includes source code to retrieve the PHY type used by Wireless clients. That code is backward compatible with SDK7 (haven't tested yet with SDK6 as used by the RT-AC68U). So 384.9 Beta 1 should allow you to see the PHY types of your connected clients on at least some models.

upload_2019-1-26_16-3-44.png

(the number of stream is only visible on the HND platform so far)

Last edited:
@RMerlin Where is the screenshot located in the UI?

@Klueless & @seth_space I do not see anything in hover over on the client list screen. The only mouse-overs I see are titles, like "Automatic IP". I do see some columns that contain the interface (2G/5G) and the Tx/Rx rates, but I do not see anything indicating b/g/n.

interface (2G/5G) and the Tx/Rx rates
There are a couple ways to get a client "list". Methinks you hit the "list" button? If you hit the icon instead you'll get a different form of the list. That "might" (I say might because I'm learning there's different versions of software for the various routers) give you what Seth and I were talking about. On the right side is like a "bar chart". That represents signal level. Under that it will say 2.4 or 5. If you hover over that it should give you link rates. If it's less than 11 Mbps it's probably "B" and if it's less than 54 it's probably "G".

If that doesn't work then take a look at the list you're describing. The Tx rate might serve the same purpose.

It won't be perfect but it should give you close to what you're looking for.

@djtech2k Whilst trying to discover what modes clients are connecting in is all very interesting from an academic point of view, I suspect it won't help you solve your problem. Namely, "My 2.4GHz WiFi speed has gone to trash". Even if you discover some devices are connecting at a slow rate, presumably you had these same devices before and they never caused a problem?

You didn't say what model or firmware level but I believe the ASUS app for smart phones shows each device and its connection type. https://www.asus.com/us/asus-router-app/ I am using Johns fork now so cant use the app and don't remember exactly. But worth a shot. Not sure that will help you with the issue being reported tho. I have had that issue before on the AC66U and ended up having to clear nvram via command line to resolve it (the factory reset via the UI didn't even help). Maybe a factory default may help if all else fails.

Last edited:
@djtech2k Whilst trying to discover what modes clients are connecting in is all very interesting from an academic point of view, I suspect it won't help you solve your problem. Namely, "My 2.4GHz WiFi speed has gone to trash". Even if you discover some devices are connecting at a slow rate, presumably you had these same devices before and they never caused a problem?

For the most part, yes. There are 2 things that I would point out that may have an impact. First, up until a couple weeks ago, my AC68U was running a VERY old firmware. I never upgraded it and I have had it for a few years. I do not remember the version, but it was very old Merlin build. I also had my 2.4G and 5G wifi network set to the same SSID, so my devices could have been connected to either network at any time. I recently upgraded my internet to 1000mbps service so I started looking at speeds. When I did that, I noticed some very slow tests and began to troubleshoot. That's when I separated the networks (5G is a LOT faster), and wiped and reloaded my AC68U. My speeds across the board seem better a lot of the time, but the 2.4G is as bad or worse than ever. So I am just looking for reasons why it may be happening and how to resolve it. My reason for looking for the mode is that setting in the router about what modes are allowed. I was thinking that setting it to newer modes only would remove a burden and maybe make 2.4G faster. I have also been changing the channels to see if it improves, and so far I do not see a ton of improvement.

You didn't say what model or firmware level but I believe the ASUS app for smart phones shows each device and its connection type. https://www.asus.com/us/asus-router-app/ I am using Johns fork now so cant use the app and don't remember exactly. But worth a shot. Not sure that will help you with the issue being reported tho. I have had that issue before on the AC66U and ended up having to clear nvram via command line to resolve it (the factory reset via the UI didn't even help). Maybe a factory default may help if all else fails.
I am using a AC-68U on firmware 384.8_2.

I just got the app and tried it. I do not see the connection mode. I see the frequency, but not the b/g/n info.