What's new

Anybody using a cloud service to backup their QNAP NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What about using a robocopy from a Windows machine with the mirror option? It will sync by deltas. You can setup a cron job to automatically run. Only problem is your machine needs to be on for it to run.

I don't have any Windows machines that would be always on. That's why I have a NAS.

I don't have any Windows machines that would be always on. That's why I have a NAS.

Are they all mobile systems?

All my desktops are left on 24/7. Less maintenance for me to do (95% is done automatically) and I have an always ready computer to use. ;)

Yeah. My one fixed system is OS X. We have 2 Windows laptops that are only on 3 or 4 days a week. Everything else is either Android/iOS or purpose-built device like PS4 or BR player.

amazon cloud unlimited - does it limit size of individual file?

EDIT
I skimmed the docs and T&C's... 2GB file size limit uploading via browser.. that's common.
Didn't see limit when using desktop app.

But this is PC/Mac to cloud, not NAS to cloud. I hesitate to do so.

Last edited:
I'm only wanting to backup family pictures and the like. So what's the big deal?

EDIT: I realize some have a strong aversion to using the cloud, especially for personal storage. If there's an alternative, I'm all ears but I'm looking for something that would survive the total destruction of my property.

A neighbor down he road had a fire last winter and the water/ice damage caused by trying to put the fire out resulted in the home being completely lost. As I mentioned, in the summer of 2013 we had a tornado touch down about 2.5 miles from our home. I have pictures of it coming right towards us. It turned at the last minute, or we would have taken a direct hit.

My mother-in-law has been going through good old fashioned paper pictures for the last few weeks, trying to document the lives of her parents. The sheer amount of missing information is sad. I don't want that to happen to me or my kids.

Last edited:
iDrive is $59.95/year for 1TB but I'm finding a lot of negative comments about them. Lots of good reviews (that appear to be financially motivated, at least in part) followed by hundreds of comments about how bad they suck.

Of course, I've now found several "copy/paste" comments. They have specific details and are repeated verbatim across several websites, so it appears to be someone with an "agenda".

I freaking hate the Internet.

Adrive is serving me well and inexpensively. I only pay for 100GB so far and I've yet to get near that.
Important things like family photos but no financial or healthcare, even with my own encryption. VVIP stuff is also on a tiny but large capacity thumb drive on my key ring. And 4 other places.

If you only have 250G of stuff to backup, I think I'd sync it to the computer you have online and then back that up to something free like Google Drive. You could get it to the cloud for free if you did that.

Beware Google Drive, last time I looked, caches all files to be uploaded. Cache is on your PC.
And they have/had some file size limits.

I've got a g-drive account, but rarely use it - remember their original mission - to index the worlds content and make it available to all...

I'm with SteveCH on that one - beware!

Yeah, I don't use Google. I'm pretty sure Amazon isn't completely innocent either but I just detest Google.

If you only have 250G of stuff to backup, I think I'd sync it to the computer you have online and then back that up to something free like Google Drive. You could get it to the cloud for free if you did that.

That's just counter-intuitive. I already have my data centralized on the NAS.

My (most good) NAS can backup to AWS. I don't because of recurring cost and moreso, due to having only 10Mbps upstream speed. Also I don't trust any cloud service to not have a disgruntled employee with access to keys and files.

So my NAS backup is my 2nd volume in the NAS plus a less frequent external USB3 drive. Plus SD card for VVIP files. Non-sensitive files, I pay $25/year for 100GB from ADrive.

I can backup to AWS but it's not really cost-effective for personal use.

I may end up going with ADrive unless Amazon support comes around in QTS soon.

One option worth looking at is Crashplan. There is a qpkg for it in the App Centre which will allow you to backup files directly from your NAS either to their cloud storage or another machine (remote or local).

The only caveat is that to get your account up and running (only the paid one offers cloud backup) it's probably easier to install first on a PC and then go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been waiting for prices on cloud storage to come down... I'm connected via fiber and seem to be getting about 50mbps upstream even though the ISP promised 100/10. It would be painful to do the first sync, but since I'm mainly interested in having offsite backups for photos (250GB) it should be doable.

But up to now the prices have been way too high so I've just kept one disk at work. Maybe I should just code a plugin for one of the cheaper backup options myself.

I've been waiting for prices on cloud storage to come down... I'm connected via fiber and seem to be getting about 50mbps upstream even though the ISP promised 100/10. It would be painful to do the first sync, but since I'm mainly interested in having offsite backups for photos (250GB) it should be doable.

But up to now the prices have been way too high so I've just kept one disk at work. Maybe I should just code a plugin for one of the cheaper backup options myself.

Note that Crashplan will allow you to offsite backup to another computer without paying them a dime. If you have a friend you'd like to exchange backups with, you can seed a disk locally (v. fast) then take it and plug it into a remote machine. From that point on it will only have to transmit the deltas.

Their paid home user plans started from around $60 annually with unlimited storage last time I checked. My only connection with them is that I'm a paying customer and have been using it for a couple of years now. Oh yeah, and they have mobile apps so you can access your files on the go should the need arise.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!