What's new

Anybody using a cloud service to backup their QNAP NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe I should just code [ use ?? ]a plugin for one of the cheaper backup options myself.
All said and done, that's the easiest. And free. And not hogging limited upstream bandwidth.

I use Adrive ($25/yr for 100GB) and push only VIP files that aren't sensitive personal financial/healthcare info. Family photos is one thing I push. I've had it for a year and I'm a heavy work at home user. I've only used half of the 100GB. I have backup to USB3 drive as well.
Last time I tried Crashplan, their PC software would not take UNC paths, e.g., to folders shared out on my NAS. Nor a windows drive letter mapped to a share on the NAS. Only PC-attached drives.

I use Acronis to daily do a drive-image to the NAS, 3 PCs, so If malware strikes, I just reinstate the drive image. And deltas / versions of selected folders/files is done using Centered Systems' Second Copy (greaaaat).

Last edited:
I've been pretty slow to proceed with this.. Checking now it seemed prices have come down all over the board... Any more experiences? ATM I'm considering going with AWS since I'm getting quite used to it from work. Even considering Glacier as it is meant to be a disaster recovery backup.

I am not sure I this is being overly simplistic and naive....

When I upgraded my NAS, my old NAS moved to an out of town relative's house where it serves as my off site backup. It was a bit fiddly for an amateur like me to set up.

It turns on once a week preforms a sync of my "valuable" data and then turns off. While not enterprise ready, it has been cheap, low power, and reliable enough for my personal use.

The family PC's do a monthly full image backup and daily incremental image backup to my QNAP NAS using Macrium Reflect. The folders they are backed up to on the NAS are synchronized daily with my OneDrive account with a free 1 TB with my MS Office subscription using the hybrid backup sync app on the NAS. Data held centrally on the NAS and not on individual PC's is also synchronized daily with OneDrive.

I have a reasonably quick internet connection (40mbs) up so its practical to send the needed file sizes and all works automatically for about 500 GB of backed up data. The NAS to OneDrive back up occur automatically at midnight each day .

The backup data held on the NAS is encrypted so when sent to OneDrive it is safe for security purposes even if my OneDrive account or NAS is hacked

I’m currently using dupliciti + backblaze for off-site backup, working very good so far and also very cheap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!