What's new

Anyone have a rote basic setup guide for a AX86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sonicmojo

Regular Contributor
Finally putting in the new AX86-U this week. Still a bit foggy on best practice for setting this up - new - and then pulling the plug on the old router (AC86U)

Most guides I have found indicate it's best to do the major configuration for the new router (including flashing to latest Merlin) - offline (no WAN) and then making the switch.

Does anyone have a basic 10 step guide for this?

I have taken screencaps of all the main screens of my AC86U and can recreate with no issue

I also know L&LD has a ton of stuff out there but I can never find a simple one pager amongst all his links around here - one link seems to lead to another and so on.

If anyone has swapped one ASUS for another recently - would love to know your success story.

Cheers

Sonic

RT-AX86U or RT-AX86U Pro?

Most guides I have found indicate it's best to do the major configuration for the new router (including flashing to latest Merlin) - offline (no WAN) and then making the switch.
No, do it with the WAN connected. Unless for some reason this is not possible (e.g. you simply cannot have any downtime).

Does anyone have a basic 10 step guide for this?
You only need a 1 step guide. Press the reset button and then go through the normal configuration process. Don't make things complicated when they aren't. These devices are designed for people with zero technical knowledge, without having to resort to geek guides on internet forums.

RT-AX86U. To replace a well worn AC86U with the least amount of hassle factor.

My only simply requirement is to have the new router on the latest Merlin by the time the WAN plug goes in for real.

S

Is this the same RT-AX86U you got in May 2023?

As @ColinTaylor says - no setup guide is needed. Flash whatever you want firmware, reset after, configure as your RT-AC86U. Done.

No, do it with the WAN connected. Unless for some reason this is not possible (e.g. you simply cannot have any downtime).

So - you are saying just wander into the network cabinet - yank the old one out and plug the new one in?

I was thinking more like - plug my PC into the new one (offline) - do my thing (based on my AC86-U) screencaps and once I can confirm all is good (including the latest Merlin) - then walk it down the hall, do the swap, reboot and hope for the best?

S

If you are more adventurous and you have simple configuration - export AC86U config and import on AX86U. Not the best thing to do, but I've done it few times as an experiment and AX86U works exactly like AC86U configuration in under 2min. You can always reset if something is not right.

If you are more adventurous and you have simple configuration - export AC86U config and import on AX86U. Not the best thing to do, but I've done it few times as an experiment and AX86U works exactly like AC86U configuration in under 2min. You can always reset if something is not right.
Interesting. Obviously I will need Merlin on the AX86U before trying it - but sounds like a plan.

Can't hurt to try it if I can reset.

S

Can't hurt to try it.

See here:

As I said you can always reset and start over.

So - you are saying just wander into the network cabinet - yank the old one out and plug the new one in?
Yes.

I was thinking more like - plug my PC into the new one (offline) - do my thing (based on my AC86-U) screencaps and once I can confirm all is good (including the latest Merlin) - then walk it down the hall, do the swap, reboot and hope for the best?
You could do that. But it sounded like you don't have much to configure.

I really don't recommend importing the old config file from your old router. People have done this and then had problems down the road that weren't immediately obvious. Set it up correctly from the beginning and then forget about it.

Setting it up manually is better indeed. Basic config to have it going is like 5min.

Interesting. Obviously I will need Merlin on the AX86U before trying it - but sounds like a plan.
Most people, will not recommend importing a router CFG file from one router model to another. There exists the potential of misconfiguration due to different hardware or router settings. It may work, it may not and you end up spending hours chasing down issues. Here is what RMerlin wrote to someone else earlier today who asked about importing a AC router CFG into a AX router:
It's generally not a good idea, as it may contain model-specific values that might cause issues down the road on the new router. Asus has never officially stated however if cross-model config sharing was supported or not.

Most people on this forum will recommend factory resets for no reason as well.

Yes, hyperbole. The sincerest forms of flattery. :rolleyes:

But the facts paint a different picture.

Try stating the truth instead, and maybe you'll both feel like better people.

Most of us, however, recommend configuring a new router from scratch. Importing a settings file from another model is a sure way to waste your time.

And, ask yourself if you really need the Merlin firmware.....

Most of us, however, recommend configuring a new router from scratch. Importing a settings file from another model is a sure way to waste your time.

And, ask yourself if you really need the Merlin firmware.....

Agreed. And yes - I may actually consider asking myself the Merlin question this time around.

S

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!