What's new

Best-practices for replacing ASUS RT-AX86U with ASUS RT-AX86U Pro (=moving everything from the existing router to a replacement one)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rici

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Since my current ASUS RT-AX86U starts having Wifi and WAN outages, I like to refresh my router - by replacing my current one with the ASUS RT-AX86U Pro .

How to move all settings (AiMesh, Skynet etc.) best from my current one to my new router?

Any best practices for how to do that best?

Thanks a lot!

Step 1: Take screenshots of all major screens within the Asus Merlin UI on your RT-AX86U and save them in Word (or other preferred word processing app)
Step 2: Take screenshots of your settings in the critical scripts you are running (like Skynet), and save them in Word
Step 3: (optional) Using a tool like WinSCP, copy the contents of your /jffs/scripts folder over locally, so you have some config files to refer to if needed.
Step 4: Install your new RT-AX86U Pro router & scripts
Step 5: Using your screenshots, set everything back up per your old settings! This literally can be done in under 15mins.
Step 6: Take a step back, get a glass of wine, and pat yourself on the back for yet another successful migration!

;)

Thank you!

While I understand that I have to manually configure my new router:

Any way to easily move over my Skynet etc. settings?
Any anything else that's on it.

Sure, there is a possibility to use scripts/code to move some settings. Not really recommended.

Instead of (just) screenshots, I suggest using a text/pdf document to enable copy/pastes too.

I use the same method, but instead of screenshots, I record the screen and browse through all the settings of the router.

I use the same method, but instead of screenshots, I record the screen and browse through all the settings of the router.
Another option is to dump all nvram variables :

nvram show | sort > nvram.txt

Then one can fish out a few settings by using grep. For example, customized device names are easiest to transfer via the nvram variable.