What's new

Apple TC died - what to replace it with (go with R7800)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yot

New Around Here
Hi all,

very newbie here. I've had Time Capsule for 6-8 years (A1355) and no issues whatsoever until it just died. So I stepped into this mess that is which router to pick :-O Given what the current rankings say (R7800) or what thewirecutter says (R7000P) in my budget (UK, <£200), should I get one of these or simply a newer Apple Time Capsule (A1470)? My setup:

Small home (120sqm), 1 floor, 3 older iPhones, 3 older Macbook Pros, Roku wirelessly for Netflix, 3 Sonos speakers, Synology 2 bay NAS, shared printer, Kindle. Like I said, I had almost no issues with the current network except occasional hiccups when streaming via Roku on TV. I used even older Airport Express (>8 years old) on the ground floor as an extender, but honestly I don't think it was necessary.

I am fine ditching the "Time Capsule" part of the Apple router, which is why I am considering a "proper" router. I am this close from ordering R7000P, but I thought after I had done due diligence I'd ask. The most important factor for me is that all my current networked devices would work with minimal hassle. Then it's the speed (I assume any modern router I'd get would be faster than my old TC). Current price difference between new 7800 and 7000 is £20. New Apple TC 2Tb is £300 (!) but used can be had for half this price.

I'd be very grateful for your comments.
yot

Last edited:
Don't eWaste your TimeCapsule A1355 just yet - Apple had a service program that would replace failed units if they fell within a certain range. Doesn't hurt to take it over to the Apple Store and talk (nicely) to the Genius, esp, since you also have a number of Apple devices in the house.

My best recommendation - if you're good to go with how TC works, and the routing functionality - the TimeCapsule AC models are on the market, and might consider looking at the refurb store on the Apple Website.

Hi all,

very newbie here. I've had Time Capsule for 6-8 years (A1355) and no issues whatsoever until it just died. So I stepped into this mess that is which router to pick :-O Given what the current rankings say (R7800) or what thewirecutter says (R7000P) in my budget (UK, <£200), should I get one of these or simply a newer Apple Time Capsule (A1470)? My setup:

Small home (120sqm), 1 floor, 3 older iPhones, 3 older Macbook Pros, Roku wirelessly for Netflix, 3 Sonos speakers, Synology 2 bay NAS, shared printer, Kindle. Like I said, I had almost no issues with the current network except occasional hiccups when streaming via Roku on TV. I used even older Airport Express (>8 years old) on the ground floor as an extender, but honestly I don't think it was necessary.

I am fine ditching the "Time Capsule" part of the Apple router, which is why I am considering a "proper" router. I am this close from ordering R7000P, but I thought after I had done due diligence I'd ask. The most important factor for me is that all my current networked devices would work with minimal hassle. Then it's the speed (I assume any modern router I'd get would be faster than my old TC). Current price difference between new 7800 and 7000 is £20. New Apple TC 2Tb is £300 (!) but used can be had for half this price.

I'd be very grateful for your comments.
yot

The R7800 would definitely be the better model over the 7000P, still beats most consumer units on 5Ghz and decent 2.4Ghz range, infact I replaced a family friend’s Apple AirPort Extreme last year as he had range speed/issues. Not sure another Time Capsule or an AirPort Extreme would be worth it over an Asus or Netgear router at the same price range if the built in storage part isn’t an issue. You could always connect an external storage device to these or use your NAS for Time Machine backups.

Last edited: