What's new

[ASK] Addons to monitor USB Capacity Over GUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The second part of your question is slightly different because you're talking about the capacity of a network share (presumably Samba) rather than the entire USB drive. I'm not sure why you think this information isn't available in Linux. The information below is from Ubuntu. I presume macOS has something similar.

View attachment 57191
unfortunately in macos get info is not showing the detail information such as windows or linux. the following is mounted point that I create using similar feature like symlink in linux..

1710525378783.png

it is even worse when I look up under the network, there is nothing much I can do over there..

1710525459958.png

anyway thanks for the replying and give me some "enlightenment" 👍 🤝

unfortunately in macos get info is not showing the detail information such as windows or linux. the following is mounted point that I create using similar feature like symlink in linux..

View attachment 57198

it is even worse when I look up under the network, there is nothing much I can do over there..

View attachment 57199

anyway thanks for the replying and give me some "enlightenment" 👍 🤝
Interesting. I'm not a mac guy but in Ubuntu it shows the same (lack of) information at that level. You have to actually open the shared directory and then select "properties" from within that window. Only then does it show the usage information. YMMV

LOL was just going to post this with some bogus data to show what it could look like for those with multiple drives:

View attachment 57194

Just wanted to say this is a great solution, fantastic work Viktor! Great overall view of the disk usage now from RTRMON :) Something felt like it was missing from that stats page... 😉

Just wanted to say this is a great solution, fantastic work Viktor! Great overall view of the disk usage now from RTRMON :) Something felt like it was missing from that stats page... 😉
Thank You @ExtremeFiretop! And thanks so much for putting 2 and 2 together... happy to get that working in RTRMON! I can't believe I never thought of including that way back when. Derp! ;)

Thank You @ExtremeFiretop! And thanks so much for putting 2 and 2 together... happy to get that working in RTRMON! I can't believe I never thought of including that way back when. Derp! ;)

Thank you! But i give credit to @adzie
it's clear to me now I misunderstood the original question, but I wouldn't of looked without the question in the first place so I'm happy something positive came out of the misunderstanding anyways! Haha 😂

Hold on... low free memory is green. What's high free memory - red? 🧐
No. Less is better. More is worser. 100% is welcome to the Thunderdome!

More available memory bar becomes yellow and eventually red?

If so I don't want to hear any complaints about Asus models with only 512GB RAM anymore... 🤔

More available memory bar becomes yellow and eventually red?

If so I don't want to hear any complaints about Asus models with only 512GB RAM anymore... 🤔

I believe it goes like this...
0-60% mem used (100-40% avail) = green
61-85% mem used (39-15% avail) = yellow
86-100% mem used (14-0% avail) = red

I'm asking about Mem Free bar, not Mem Used.

1710540389597.png

How come only 8% memory free is good and in green?

I'm asking about Mem Free bar, not Mem Used.

View attachment 57204

How come only 8% memory free is good and in green?
How's this look...

Beta2 is available here (sorry to take over this thread with RTRMON stuff!)
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/develop/rtrmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

1710542636488.png

Looks more logical now, but I see a different problem...

I know the models specs above, but if I didn't - a calculator needed?

For example, 80MB / 8% (RAM) or 7MB / 14% (JFFS) of... what total size?

I don't know if you can extract/include this information. Just an observation.

Looks more logical now, but I see a different problem...

I know the models specs above, but if I didn't - a calculator needed?

For example, 80MB / 8% (RAM) or 7MB / 14% (JFFS) of... what total size?

I don't know if you can extract/include this information. Just an observation.
Simple... 80MB / 0.08 = 1000 MB approximate total RAM. 7 MB / 0.14 = 50 MB approximate total JFFS.

Simple...

Simple? Let's test how simple it is:

What is the swap file size in examples above with 0MB / 0%? 🧐

What is the CPU Temp max with CPU Temp 75C / 57%? Hint - CPU thermal protection shuts down cores at 100C. 🧐

------

Isn't this simpler, more precise and already available in the GUI?

1710555032050.png

Exactly...

No, approximate. I already have the exact numbers and haven't touched SSH yet.

Sorry, I'm trying to find what's the extra value in installing a custom script for all this.

I believe email notification of high storage and/or memory usage would be the value. Eye-candy plus pro-active notifications - win/win.

Simple? Let's test how simple it is:
It really is pretty simple when you look at where I'm pulling all the info from...

What is the swap file size in examples above with 0MB / 0%? 🧐
I get this information using the command /usr/bin/free
Code:
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1018784     978936      39848       3660     154236     226328
-/+ buffers/cache:     598372     420412
Swap:      5242876          0    5242876

What is the CPU Temp max with CPU Temp 75C / 57%? Hint - CPU thermal protection shuts down cores at 100C. 🧐
I had picked a max arbitrary number back in the day of 130C since there's nothing to measure against in order to build a bar chart... but can't seem to find the source on why I picked that number back then, so I will happily move it down to 100C. Did find an old Merlin post that confirms this... Makes sense! Thanks for the feedback on that!

Isn't this simpler, more precise and already available in the GUI?
A bunch of info is already available in the GUI, but for a lot of it, you have to hunt for it on different pages... this tries to put everything together. Plus, it was a fun project, and a challenge to build a terminal-based interface to display a lot of this data. I'm typically not using the web GUI, but am more comfortable monitoring my router with terminal-based dashboards.

Router SoCs have a max temp of 120C (or more). As per RMerlin.

They begin throttling at 100C, but that doesn't mean they begin shutting down then.

I have witnessed many routers running 'normally' at very close to 100C, so that line of thinking is just wrong.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!