What's new

[ASK] Addons to monitor USB Capacity Over GUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Router SoCs have a max temp of 120C (or more). As per RMerlin.

They begin throttling at 100C, but that doesn't mean they begin shutting down then.

I have witnessed many routers running 'normally' at very close to 100C, so that line of thinking is just wrong.

I'd love to know what the generally agreed-upon max number would be that everyone could agree on... else, I'll just make this an option in the config menu so people can use their own number. I've read a bunch of differing opinions, but nothing conclusive. Having a cutoff at 100C sounds like a good idea since CPUs start throttling down at that point... but I remember finding 130C out there before as the temp where the CPU just starts melting ;) ... just can't find the documentation any longer. ;(

My 'known' is 120C. Again, based on what RMerlin has stated in the past.

Low-power SoCs are not like laptop/desktop CPUs. They are different animals and follow different rules. Not that they won't melt at 130C... but they are designed to withstand substantially higher temps than CPUs which have other (performance) requirements as their main goal.

I'd love to know what the generally agreed-upon max number would be that everyone could agree on... else, I'll just make this an option in the config menu so people can use their own number. I've read a bunch of differing opinions, but nothing conclusive. Having a cutoff at 100C sounds like a good idea since CPUs start throttling down at that point... but I remember finding 130C out there before as the temp where the CPU just starts melting ;) ... just can't find the documentation any longer. ;(
Yellow at 100˚C and red at 120˚C, using higher number for percentage?

At 100C the CPU is not throttling, but shutting down the cores. Whatever is running there stops. When I get home I’ll provide the CPU versions I tested the thermal protection with. Four different CPUs. 100C must be red, dark red.

FYI, I have my GT-AX6000 installed hidden inside wooden entertainment cabinet with glass doors. There is about 3/16" gap around doors plus 1-1/2" hole for cables in rear allowing for airflow. I cut an additional 2-1/2" hole and installed USB exhaust fan. A second USB fan sits on top of router, pulling an from bottom to top. Zero issue or concern with heat.

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 12.25.56.png
Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 12.26.36.png

When I get home I’ll provide the CPU versions

CPUs with thermal protection shutting down cores at 100C:

BCM4709C0 - used in RT-AC1900P, RT-AC68P, RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300*
BCM4906 - used in RT-AC68U V4, RT-AC86U*, RT-AX68U, RT-AX92U
BCM49408 - used in RT-AX88U* and similar versions BCM4908 in GT-AC5300, RT-AX86U, GT-AX11000, GT-AXE11000
BCM6750 - used in RT-AX58U V1* and all derivatives RT-AX82U, RT-AX3000, RT-AX5400, TUF Gaming AX3000/AX5400, ROG Strix AX3000/AX5400

I would say:
<80C - green
80C-90C - yellow
>90C - red

The above will cover many router models and may indicate a cooling problem. Temperature >90C is overheating, close to thermal protection threshold. 120-130C is tmax and it means above this temperature the CPU may get permanently damaged. The router will become unusable long before the CPU reaches this temperature. I've seen reports here on SNB Forums of issues at 102C coming from cores unavailable.

* - router models I used as guinea pigs in my tests

@Viktor Jaep, see similar information here:

If you set the thresholds above you cover majority of Asus router models with quite accurate estimation.

@Viktor Jaep, see similar information here:

If you set the thresholds above you cover majority of Asus router models with quite accurate estimation.

So if you had to tie those ranges to %... how would you do it using the red/green/yellow limits? And what would the max upper bound temp be?

I'm afraid I have to disagree with what single-digit unit testing reveals. Nor is it applicable to what is in the routers we use (and some only 'play' with... to obviously make fun of).

Truth in the graphs would be what the SoC is designed and built for. Anything else is just pretty graphs - which is a disservice to the user.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with what single-digit unit testing reveals. Nor is it applicable to what is in the routers we use (and some only 'play' with... to obviously make fun of).

Truth in the graphs would be what the SoC is designed and built for. Anything else is just pretty graphs - which is a disservice to the user.

That might be where I got my upper 130C number from... if you had to pick an upper range number, how would you create a % range using the red/yellow/green indicators?

So if you had to tie those ranges to %

Max 100C and you can't go wrong with % calculation.

100C or above - it doesn't matter. The router has an issue already. This must be the end of the scale. What's worse than cores unavailable?

That might be where I got my upper 130C number from... if you had to pick an upper range number, how would you create a % range using the red/yellow/green indicators?
Why not drop percentage altogether for temperatures, and just show the graph and colors?

Why not drop percentage altogether for temperatures, and just show the graph and colors?

Well, I still need to know a range of when colors change... and if you have to do C/F/K, it's easier to do that in %

I still need to know a range of when colors change...

0-80% - green
81-90% - yellow
91-100% - red

No point of 120% or 120C when the router is practically dead already.

Yeah I saw that... but for simplicity's sake, I will be turning it into a percentage knowing what the upper range limit needs to be. ;). There IS a limit, like @Tech9 mentions... I kinda agree with he 100C number since it universally seems to shut core down from the heat.

Well, I still need to know a range of when colors change... and if you have to do C/F/K, it's easier to do that in %
I understand your point, but it doesn't follow for temperatures in general (with a possible exception for K in certain circumstances). Suggest that you just use 80˚C and 90˚C for the green to yellow to red transitions, and convert to F and K as necessary. Might a graph of 10˚ to 110˚C make a reasonable scale? (but of course the 100˚ range does not represent percentage, but it might help in graphing...)

I'm sorry, my forum is filtered and I don't see what I don't need to see. I'm in doubt anyone else around here did more testing on Asus routers than me and the information provided above is "take it or leave it". All the models I listed above are practically dead at 100C or above. I don't use the script and whatever you guys put there is okay for me. If it's technically accurate for monitoring purposes - good for the users. This 110-130C or whatever in my opinion must be black - dead. Good luck!

As a former engineer (SW) that worked with a bunch of hardware engineers, I have to agree with @Tech9 (except the remark about addons ;-)

Without access to the Broadcom data sheets, which like most of their sw is very closed source, you won’t really know the true thermal characteristics of the devices. Depending on the chip/process could be slightly different between chips.

The temperature reported via software is on “on-die” temperature - with the benefit of those big heatsinks Asus bolts on top.
I would agree that at 100C - you would burn yourself if you touch the heatsink or put a small pot of tea to get it to boil.
And most of the hardware engineers I know would add some additional cooling
Good enough for me to be concerned!

One thing that stays the same? Things change.

Doesn't matter what past measurements of 'hot' were. Those goal-posts are changing.

And look, it didn't even create any smoke or melt itself.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!