What's new

[ASK] Addons to monitor USB Capacity Over GUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adzie

Occasional Visitor
Dear Experts,

as per subject, do we have AMTM Scripts or other Addons that have capability to monitor our USB Storage that connected to the ASUS Routers?

Indeed this is can be done in the Windows OS when we add network drive in my computer, however if we are using Non-Windows such as MacOS/Linux we cannot simply monitor just like what windows OS had.

thanks a lot for the response and answer, really appreciate.

I won't lie, I instantly was going to just point you to RTRMON or ScMerlin, but I'm also surprised to find out such a feature even in a basic form (USB Capacity and current use) doesn't exist in scMerlin or RTRMON.
Maybe it's something to suggest to @Viktor Jaep for his RTRMON which I know is actively being developed :)

@adzie This information is already present in the GUI in two different places. First, it is shown as a bar graph under the disk device name. Then if you click on the disk "button" it opens a tab on the right with the information in text form.

Untitled.png

I won't lie, I instantly was going to just point you to RTRMON or ScMerlin, but I'm also surprised to find out such a feature even in a basic form (USB Capacity and current use) doesn't exist in scMerlin or RTRMON.
Maybe it's something to suggest to @Viktor Jaep for his RTRMON which I know is actively being developed :)
I think that would be a quick & easy thing to add! Never even thought of that one... ;) Thanks!

@adzie This information is already present in the GUI in two different places. First, it is shown as a bar graph under the disk device name. Then if you click on the disk "button" it opens a tab on the right with the information in text form.

View attachment 57187
thanks a lot Colin,

why I never aware of this feature 😁

View attachment 57187

I would be surprised if he didn't know about this lol.

do we have AMTM Scripts or other Addons

His question was specifically on scripts or addons that can monitor this information.
Why he needs it as a script, idk, but just to answer the question straight up, I'd see if RTRMON is willing to add this info for you under their "Disk" tab :)

1710508066284.png

His question was specifically on scripts or addons that can monitor this information.
Why he needs it as a script, idk, but just to answer the question straight up, I'd see if RTRMON is willing to add this info for you under their "Disk" tab :)

View attachment 57189

Will have it there in a jiffy! :)

View attachment 57189
never aware this menu is available, I only aware of the following information 😁

1710508721601.png

never thought this can be showing detail information if we click on it hehehehe....

Maybe an email alert if the disk is 50 or 80% full. I'm at 3% so take your time.:)

As per his thread title, his question was specifically on scripts or addons that show "USB Capacity Over GUI", which it already does.

A GUI (Graphical User Interface) is what RTRMON has, and every other script lol. Bolding GUI means nothing since pretty much everything is interacting through a GUI.
A GUI is not specific, a WebUI or a WebGUI is.

His question was specifically "writen" on scripts or addons, no matter the GUI. I took it straight up :) You read between the lines.
But yeah bolding GUI means nothing to a dev that works on GUIs.

Clearly I was wrong, and the user didn't know about it, I'm a big enough man to admit.
But still my answer remains the same, I took the question for face value, and figured @adzie had identified already that none of the scripts had this feature and was a request to add it.

Indeed this is can be done in the Windows OS when we add network drive in my computer, however if we are using Non-Windows such as MacOS/Linux we cannot simply monitor just like what windows OS had.
The second part of your question is slightly different because you're talking about the capacity of a network share (presumably Samba) rather than the entire USB drive. I'm not sure why you think this information isn't available in Linux. The information below is from Ubuntu. I presume macOS has something similar.

Untitled.png

Maybe an email alert if the disk is 50 or 80% full. I'm at 3% so take your time.:)
IMHO, this would be the primary benefit of a script like requested.
As @ColinTaylor mentioned there are a few places where you can find the available free space.
But that requires one to check it periodically - and in my case, I don’t often enough!!!
A scripts that checks USB (and /jffs) free space periodically AND sends a warning email at some threshold would be great.
As one that tends to experiment/tinker/test by scripting in /jffs/scripts (bad habit, I know), I recently ended up with a full /jffs partition.
Thank goodness for symbolic links ;-)

Hi @Viktor Jaep that would be cool if somewhere in the future you add this current use and capacity function...

awaiting to have your awesome script updated 👍

I've got it where it will list all your /dev/sd* devices... @elorimer ... it would be easy to build in AMTM email notifications now based on certain events, like 80% disk usage... but I'm in the same boat with 2% used. LOL I'll put this on my to-do list! :)

If you want to preview, please let me know how it goes. Definitely interested to see what it looks like for those with multiple /dev/sd*'s...

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/develop/rtrmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

1710516215561.png

Works great here for BOTH USB drives (primary and backup)!

Screenshot.png

Works great here for BOTH USB drives (primary and backup)!
LOL was just going to post this with some bogus data to show what it could look like for those with multiple drives:

1710518845931.png

Dear Experts,

as per subject, do we have AMTM Scripts or other Addons that have capability to monitor our USB Storage that connected to the ASUS Routers?

thanks a lot for the response and answer, really appreciate.
amtm shows the size and usage of the Entware device. If that helps.

I've got it where it will list all your /dev/sd* devices... @elorimer ... it would be easy to build in AMTM email notifications now based on certain events, like 80% disk usage... but I'm in the same boat with 2% used. LOL I'll put this on my to-do list! :)

If you want to preview, please let me know how it goes. Definitely interested to see what it looks like for those with multiple /dev/sd*'s...

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/develop/rtrmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

View attachment 57192
indeed work a like a charm and it is even give some different color when it is reaching almost 100% 👍 .. thanks Man @Viktor Jaep

1710525134973.png

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!