What's new

Asus AC2600 Settings for wired connection via Ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DoYouKnow

New Around Here
I don't plan to setup the wireless connection.
The user guide describes mostly the settings for the wireless.

What would be the settings for wired connection via Ethernet:
-SSIDs and their keys -dual band; are they required?
-Security settings?
-Network protection settings?
-What would be the advanced settings for wired connection?
The user guide only has settings for the wireless connection?

I would think there would be some settings for the ports but the user guide doesn't say anything about them.

Is there a ASUS user guide somewhere for the wired connection?

The wired connections have been figured out and standardized decades ago, no configuration needed. Simply plug in a Cat5E or higher cable into the LAN ports and you're connected.

Setup the router like it asks you to, including a strong password for the WiFi bands (just in case someone flips the Radios on, you still want to be secure).

When the setup is finished, go into the advanced WiFi settings and disable both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz radios.

You are now ready to use your wired router. ;)

What about network protection and security?

Could someone break or hack into the network using the wired router?

Does it require a firewall on the router?

Is there a way to block any other ports?

There must be some sort of network protection for the wired router method.

What about network protection and security?

Could someone break or hack into the network using the wired router?

Does it require a firewall on the router?

Is there a way to block any other ports?

There must be some sort of network protection for the wired router method.

Of course. Use the same features as are available for all connections, whether connected wired or wireless. These include built-in features like AiProtection, etc. But also consider using a spare USB drive to really take control of your network with the scripts available starting with amtm and Diversion by thelonelycoder, Skynet by Adamm and FreshJR's QOS script utilities too.

The default install will enable the firewall but to block ports, that will require additional scripting.

The bottom line is that the wired and wireless network protection is not a set of different tools. All of them protect the network as a whole, regardless of how a client device gains access to the network.

One of the most important settings is the "Enable Web Access from WAN" found on the Administration>System page. I believe it is set to No by default but worth double checking.

....But also consider using a spare USB drive to really take control of your network with the scripts available starting with amtm and Diversion by thelonelycoder, Skynet by Adamm and FreshJR's QOS script utilities too.

The default install will enable the firewall but to block ports, that will require additional scripting.

The bottom line is that the wired and wireless network protection is not a set of different tools. All of them protect the network as a whole, regardless of how a client device gains access to the network.

Noob here... I won't ask what all those have been described.

Do you know of any other guide, manual, blog-URL link, or writing for Asus routers, doesn't have to be for AC2600, that describes the settings for the wired routers; it has to be for Asus routers because of the features? I am looking for a PDF that describes in sections for each area of the network configuration step-by-step, so I wouldn't have to repeatedly ask questions about the differences between the settings for wired and wireless?

The guide for the AC2600 describes in details about establishing the physical wired connection but then describes about the wireless settings for the wireless connection for the rest of the guide. It should have described the different settings for wired and wireless for each section.

Noob here... I won't ask what all those have been described.

Do you know of any other guide, manual, blog-URL link, or writing for Asus routers, doesn't have to be for AC2600, that describes the settings for the wired routers; it has to be for Asus routers because of the features? I am looking for a PDF that describes in sections for each area of the network configuration step-by-step, so I wouldn't have to repeatedly ask questions about the differences between the settings for wired and wireless?

The guide for the AC2600 describes in details about establishing the physical wired connection but then describes about the wireless settings for the wireless connection for the rest of the guide. It should have described the different settings for wired and wireless for each section.

I don't believe you'll find such a guide.

The defaults are 'defaults' for a reason. Well, at least most of them. ;)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...t-ac68u-actualized-to-2019.55684/#post-473602

Your best bet is to go through the GUI and copy/paste the settings you're unsure about into google and see definitions or further details in that way.

Wireless networking has some additional requirements that wired does not (at the basic level of these routers).

Wired networking, with regards to Asus routers, only needs the appropriate cable (usually Cat5E and/or above, depending on distance/client), NAT enabled, DHCP enabled and where possible for specific models, Bonding/Link Aggregation for higher throughput to a specific client (usually a NAS).

Make sure you have performed a full reset to factory defaults (please see the links I've provided, including the links in my signature) to start from a good/known state.

Adjusting any of the settings past this basic advice is usually for a specific ISP or for network specific requirements, there isn't a guide that would cover all of those options, afaik.

Finally, I would suggest you continue to ask questions here. As long as they are not repetitive, there are many here that are happy to help.

PS I started here feeling very lost too with 'networking', not that long ago. I'm still learning today, but with help from the great members here, I have learned and am continuing to learn a lot. ;)