What's new

Asus AC87R 169.254 addressing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NetworkError

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I have noticed from netstat output I have a connection in the 169.254.x.x range local and also a 169.254.x.x in the foreign both with a port. I know that this range is given to hosts that do not obtain an address from DHCP but should I be concerned about this at all ? As far as im aware all my devices have obtained an address from DHCP.... Just curious because perhaps a host could be configured to have a static address of 169.254.x.x and sit on the network hidden from the gui list of connected hosts ? Is this possible ? Or I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat ? Any insights would be great ... Everyone have active connections in this range ? Much thanks :)

This is normal. This is used internally to allow the Broadcom firmware to communicate with the Quantenna firmware, over the internal bus.

This is referred to as APIPA

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html

It shows up when DHCP from a router is not detected. Generally, it's a troubleshooting issue and a test question for intro to networking. If you see it on a PC, then the PC doesn't have a network address. I'm guessing it's used if you have a usb network between 2 PCs without ethernet in the middle, but that's only a wild guess.

If you see an APIPA PC address and you're otherwise on a network that's working fine, then take a close look at your network, particularly the devices with APIPA addressing. it wouldn't show up unless a network connection was needed and didn't end up on the main network. Basically, it shouldn't be there as a PC address.

Last edited:
I am finding it on the asus 87r netstat output, much thanks for the advise. I disconnected all devices and could still ping both addys so I agree its part of the 87r.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!