What's new

Asus aimesh router and node - weird problem

  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

    SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

    Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

    The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dseg42

New Around Here
So I have a Asus GT-AX11000 router as my main router. I had a dead spot in one of the bed rooms for wifi so I ran an ethernet cable to this room and setup an old RT-AC68U as a node for aimesh. Worked great for the last few months, then suddenly the wifi strength on the node dropped from 200mbs download to about 10-20mbs.

Both routers have updated firmware and I've tried rolling them back (firmware was the same when problem started)
The node is hard wired to the main router so there is no wireless backhauling. I tried manually setting ethernet backhauling with no luck. Router settings say it is using the ethernet connection. Connection quality to node says "Great."
I used another router I had laying around, a RT-AC86U and I am having the same exact problem.
Tried multiple reboots.
If I am in the main living area (where main router is) I get about 500mpbs download on wifi.
If I have my device, 2inches from the node, I get 300mpbs (normal). If I am 3ft from node, I get about 100mpbs. 10ft from node is about 10-20mpbs.

I would imagine it has to do with signals and certain bands overlapping, idk. I have no idea where to go from here.
 
If I have my device

Are you measuring your "Wi-Fi strength" using the same device all the time? What other devices connected to this Node show?
 
AiMesh uses the same channels. You have no other option. You can try to convert this Node to Access Point and use different channels. Make sure you're not in DFS range for more consistent results. I would test with other available clients as well. I would try resetting (not only rebooting) the Node as well.
 
AiMesh uses the same channels. You have no other option. You can try to convert this Node to Access Point and use different channels. Make sure you're not in DFS range for more consistent results. I would test with other available clients as well. I would try resetting (not only rebooting) the Node as well.
Yeah, I tried resetting the node a few times as well. It's just weird for this to start happening with no changes in the network.
 
In this case you have to investigate eventual Wi-Fi environment changes and adjust your main router settings accordingly. The node will follow.
 

Similar threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top