What's new

Solved Aimesh with Asus RT-AX86S Pro. How to make the 2.5 Gbps LAN port work as WAN port in aimesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amohan78

Occasional Visitor
I am currently confused in a particular Aimesh combo set up and need your help on the same.

I have one GT-AX6000 which I am wired backhauling onto RT-AX86U Pro (Satellite Node). So I have connected the WAN port of GT-AX6000 to the ONT Modem and the LAN port of GT-AX6000 is connected to the WAN port of RT-AX86U Pro model. The Aimesh is setting up successfully but if you notice the last point regarding the satellite node on RT-AX86U Pro, there is a small problem.

The RT-AX86U pro which is being used as satellite node, comes with a 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN port which needs to be configured as a WAN or a LAN when being used as a standalone router. BUT, since I am using it as Aimesh node, the firmware on RT-AX86U pro is reset to factory settings and I have no way to make the 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN port to be configured as WAN-port prior to aimesh connectivity setup.

Since Aimesh in wired backhaul mode needs to be connected to WAN port of the satellite, this would effectively mean that I can never make the AImesh-system in 2.5 Gbps ethernet connectivity in spite of presence of a 2.5 Gbps port in the satellite node.

Do you have any solution to this matter ?

Have you simply tried plugging it into the 2.5GbE port and see if it works?

That is how the original 2x RT-AX86Us worked for me and many others.

Yes, I have tried to connect the 2.5 Gbps port on Rt-AX86u Pro and then search for aimesh. the aimesh search return no available nodes. But when I connect to the original WAN port (blue colour), it can detect a potential node in waiting to join aimesh.

No, connect the node either wirelessly (in the same room) or via the GB port. Then, once connected via AiMesh, simply move the node to where you want it and connect to the 2.5GbE port.

1702397661684.png

Click 1 <> Click 2 <>3 is: More config. Then connection type and Backhaul connection Priority

I am currently confused in a particular Aimesh combo set up and need your help on the same.

I have one GT-AX6000 which I am wired backhauling onto RT-AX86U Pro (Satellite Node). So I have connected the WAN port of GT-AX6000 to the ONT Modem and the LAN port of GT-AX6000 is connected to the WAN port of RT-AX86U Pro model. The Aimesh is setting up successfully but if you notice the last point regarding the satellite node on RT-AX86U Pro, there is a small problem.

The RT-AX86U pro which is being used as satellite node, comes with a 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN port which needs to be configured as a WAN or a LAN when being used as a standalone router. BUT, since I am using it as Aimesh node, the firmware on RT-AX86U pro is reset to factory settings and I have no way to make the 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN port to be configured as WAN-port prior to aimesh connectivity setup.

Since Aimesh in wired backhaul mode needs to be connected to WAN port of the satellite, this would effectively mean that I can never make the AImesh-system in 2.5 Gbps ethernet connectivity in spite of presence of a 2.5 Gbps port in the satellite node.

Do you have any solution to this matter ?

From my AX86U Pro notes:

- confirm Primary WAN set to 1G WAN (2.5G port defaults to LAN5 after QIS, or to WAN on a wired node)

Or, set Primary WAN to 2.5G port; wire 2.5G port to modem (default WAN becomes LAN5 after reboot)

Or in other words, just wire it up and add the node:

ONT <wire> 2.5GbE WAN-AiMesh router-2.5GbE LAN <wire> 2.5GbE WAN/LAN-AiMesh node

OE

No, connect the node either wirelessly (in the same room) or via the GB port. Then, once connected via AiMesh, simply move the node to where you want it and connect to the 2.5GbE port.
Awesome ! This worked ! Thanks a ton !