What's new

Asus AX88U OFDMA link question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

InnovativeDoc

Occasional Visitor
Hi
I read that the first draft WiFi 6 routers from some companies like Netgear have OFDMA downlink but not uplink hence are not "true" WiFi 6 in all respects. I understand that AX88U has OFDMA downlink, and was wondering if AX88U has OFDMA uplink? If yes, is it working efficiently as per industry standards? If no, will the uplink capability be enabled in future via a firmware update?
Another "by the way" question - In router management page, how does Asus display WiFi client (2.4 or 5 ghz) signal strength that client (like smart plug, wireless camera) is receiving at remote location? Netgear simply shows connected devices but does not show signal strengths...

I have been using Netgear for over 10 years, this is my first Asus product. I am extremely happy, I generally get 6-9ms ping on WiFi ac or ax connection) which is lower as compared to when using Netgear Mu-Mimo router R7800; and get 236mbps down on a 200/10 connection. Very pleased with Asus! Setup: My cable provider is spectrum and I use Spectrum - Hitron Docsis 3.1 modem. Apparently I did use motorola MB8600 and Netgear CM1100 modems but they had ping/ latency in 10-14 ms range. Very interestingly, spectrum modem, possibly using Puma chip, did much better in terms of low latency and immediately throttling up to network permitted top speeds!
I am curious to know about OFDMA uplink capabilities of this router. Thanks for reading!

Hi
I read that the first draft WiFi 6 routers from some companies like Netgear have OFDMA downlink but not uplink hence are not "true" WiFi 6 in all respects. I understand that AX88U has OFDMA downlink, and was wondering if AX88U has OFDMA uplink? If yes, is it working efficiently as per industry standards? If no, will the uplink capability be enabled in future via a firmware update?
Another "by the way" question - In router management page, how does Asus display WiFi client (2.4 or 5 ghz) signal strength that client (like smart plug, wireless camera) is receiving at remote location? Netgear simply shows connected devices but does not show signal strengths...

I have been using Netgear for over 10 years, this is my first Asus product. I am extremely happy, I generally get 6-9ms ping on WiFi ac or ax connection) which is lower as compared to when using Netgear Mu-Mimo router R7800; and get 236mbps down on a 200/10 connection. Very pleased with Asus! Setup: My cable provider is spectrum and I use Spectrum - Hitron Docsis 3.1 modem. Apparently I did use motorola MB8600 and Netgear CM1100 modems but they had ping/ latency in 10-14 ms range. Very interestingly, spectrum modem, possibly using Puma chip, did much better in terms of low latency and immediately throttling up to network permitted top speeds!
I am curious to know about OFDMA uplink capabilities of this router. Thanks for reading!

Asus support for OFDMA is still in beta and require special firmware to be enabled. Doesn't specify if it is downlink or uplink as well.

Regarding second question router only show mac address of connected device and signal strength received from them and certain model also show how many streams supported and RTAX88U is one of them.

If you install merlin you will all of the above and host names as well along with ip address in wireless log for each client.

Thank you Hawk for your answer! I did call customer care this morning and they said they will eventually have an update that will enable OFDMA uplink (and downlink) but did not know how soon that update will arrive. So it makes sense to hold onto the device. Besides, I only have one OFDMA enabled client (Note 10 plus) so am not in a big hurry for the update!

At this point, 5 GHz DL OFDMA only is enabled only on ASUS RT-AX88U and NETGEAR RAX120. The RAX120 also has 2.4 GHz DL OFDMA enabled.

Manufacturers are having a difficult time showing the performance improvements that OFDMA is said to deliver and have been waiting for new drivers/firmware from Broadcom and Qualcomm.

Note that due to chipset limitations, the current version of the RAX120 will never be able to support UL OFDMA.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!