What's new

Asus AX89X still worth?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't know what your network is used for, but if it's a business environment, stay away from consumer products.

DIY route is open then. Off-lease SFF HP/Dell PC with i5 CPU and 8GB RAM, small SSD, the NICs you need, the OS you are comfortable with. This is the most cost efficient way and is a fun weekend project. You also have a chance to learn new things around OPNsense/pfSense.

I like the software variants (pfSense, etc.). You could save a bundle by getting parts off eBay. That's how I first got into SFP+ 10g networking.

can the antenas be unscrewed? :)

I misspoke during my initial response. I was thinking about my AX88U when I answered that question. The antennas on my AX89X are not removable, but they fold snugly against the top of the router. I don't use the wireless function of the router and my antennas remain in the lowered position, and the router fits on a shelf in my rack next to a BGW320.

I misspoke during my initial response. I was thinking about my AX88U when I answered that question. The antennas on my AX89X are not removable, but they fold snugly against the top of the router. I don't use the wireless function of the router and my antennas remain in the lowered position, and the router fits on a shelf in my rack next to a BGW320.
Thanks for the details!

With the latest firmware, AX89X works superb behind the scenes for me.
IF you can find it below MSRP, it is good for a simple set and forget AIO

yeah, currently it's 340$ + cashback promotin from asus for another 105$. So less than 250$ for a new one, revision B2 (whatever that means and fixed)

So less than 250$ for a new one

I would definitely try a new one, if there is a return option available. The hardware is weak for actual 10G traffic, the size and shape may not be ideal, but Asuswrt GUI is super easy to configure compared to pfSense/OPNsense and there is nothing else with 2x 10GbE ports for under $250.

I just ordered one and will pick it up tomorrow. Revision B2 confirmed, 254$. fair enough. I can return it within 30 days no questions asked.

I can get 8-9 plus Gbps broadband speeds out of the RT-AX89X with AiProtection turned on. Using the onboard VPNs like IPSec or Asus' own InstantGuard however drops broadband speeds to the +1 Gbps range. Otherwise, operating with no issues for nearly a year and counting. I'm using the SFP+ port for WAN on an active optical (fiber) network. The 10Base-T port goes to an unmanaged 10Gbe switch and from there to the rest of the home network. Separately, I was also looking at the Zyxel AX7501-B0 Dual-Band Wireless AX6000 10G Fiber IAD with SFP+.
https://service-provider.zyxel.com/global/en/products/wifi-system/mpro-mesh-wifi-gateways/ax7501-b0
Sadly, it seems you can only buy it in Europe/Switzerland.

Thanks. I have almost the same set up as you. Using two TP-Link TL-SX105 switches (one in the living room and one in the office). Almost everything is on cable besides the Iphones and Ipads.
I'll try to set up the AX89X tonight and take if for a "ride" :)

The QNAP QHora-301W is actually really really good. Super stable and a lot of nice features (vlan, virtual aps etc). Just that it doesn't have an SFP+ port :(.

Forget about that Zyxel... firmware upgrades almost impossible and it's really medieval on OS side.

Thanks. I have almost the same set up as you. Using two TP-Link TL-SX105 switches (one in the living room and one in the office). Almost everything is on cable besides the Iphones and Ipads.
I'll try to set up the AX89X tonight and take if for a "ride" :)

The QNAP QHora-301W is actually really really good. Super stable and a lot of nice features (vlan, virtual aps etc). Just that it doesn't have an SFP+ port :(.

Forget about that Zyxel... firmware upgrades almost impossible and it's really medieval on OS side.
Good luck and have fun!

I evaluated the QHora-301W a few months ago and I can't recommend it. The firmware is pretty basic and missing some important features that ASUSWRT has.

I evaluated the QHora-301W a few months ago and I can't recommend it. The firmware is pretty basic and missing some important features that ASUSWRT has.

Yeah, as others posted earlier in the thread, there simply aren't many consumer grade routers that can handle 10G broadband in addition to some configuration tweaks. I bought a pair of AXE16000s about 2 weeks back to test out since they each came with two 10GBase-T ports and a 2.5G port. Plugged the ISP-provided SFP+ transceiver into a media converter and then to the RJ45 port. I don't know if it was because it was a Broadcom chipset thing but could never get more than 2.6 Gbps wired speeds with AiProtection turned on. That and a host of other issues with frequent, random device disconnections/reconnections led me to return both routers recently and go back to the RT-AX89X. To be fair, the RT-AX89X was also a bugfest when it first launched in 2020, but the multiple firmware and hardware revisions since then have made it pretty stable for entry-level 10G broadband use.

I am in the same boat. I want to buy 2 new mesh routers to replace my old ac86u's. Do I buy 2x gt-ax6000 or 2 ax89x. The both cost 250$ now. What would you guys advise?

GT-AX6000 is newer and has Merlin firmware available, but you would be limited to 2.5 gig.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!