What's new

Asus AX89X still worth?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After 1 week of usage I am quite happy with the AX89X. Rock stable and no issues. WAN speeds are decent (7-8 gbps). On par with the Qnap... I guess this is the limit of current "consumer" routers for 10gbps.
However I have a small issue with the AiMesh node I added. It's an Asus ET12 (ehternet backhaul) but I can't rename the 6E SSID. The 2.4 and 5 it takes from the AX89X which is perfect but I can't figure out how to rename the 6E band... any ideas?

Don't add it as an AiMesh node.

No, not as an AP either. Are you able to add it as an AiMesh Router in AP mode instead? That should give you full control.

I set it up as a normal AP and could configure it to my liking.
What is the difference between "AiMesh Router in AP" and normal "AP" mode? I want the routing and dhcp part to be handled by the AX89X (wifi disabled on it)
Only the ET12 should provide wifi in the house (for now. later I might add another ET12 node)
Is the "AiMesh Router in AP" just AP mode with the settings unlocked and added as mesh node?

Thanks

Last edited:
What is the difference between "AiMesh Router in AP" and normal "AP" mode? I want the routing and dhcp part to be handled by the AX89X (wifi disabled on it)
Only the ET12 should provide wifi in the house (for now. later I might add another ET12 node)
Is the "AiMesh Router in AP" just AP mode with the settings unlocked and added as mesh node?

Thanks
With the ET12 as an AIMesh node, it takes its functionality from the main router, in this case the RT-AX89X. Since the RT-AX89X is a dual-band Wifi 6 router, its AiMesh node, the ET12 will only function as a dual-band Wifi 6 router extension/node, meaning you can't use the 6 Ghz/Wifi 6e band. Using AP mode for the ET12 enables all three bands to be used in spite of the RT-AX89X's dual-band Wifi 6 limitation. I guess that's how Asus meant AiMesh to be used...

Yes, I understood that but what is the difference if I set it as "AP" or as "AiMesh Router in AP mode"? The AX89X is already my router but with wifi radios disabled.
If I undersand right: "AiMesh Router in AP mode" functions as an AiMes router for other nodes to provide wifi setting. the AX89X does everything else (routing, nat, dhcp etc.)

Thanks
Sorry misread your question and yes I believe you're right.

After 1 week of usage I am quite happy with the AX89X. Rock stable and no issues. WAN speeds are decent (7-8 gbps). On par with the Qnap... I guess this is the limit of current "consumer" routers for 10gbps.
However I have a small issue with the AiMesh node I added. It's an Asus ET12 (ehternet backhaul) but I can't rename the 6E SSID. The 2.4 and 5 it takes from the AX89X which is perfect but I can't figure out how to rename the 6E band... any ideas?

Does your rx rates in network map shows 2882M rx rates?

where exactly is that? I can't see any RX rates. I have wifi radios turned off anyway on my AX89X... using an ET12 as AP.

Well I had another look and unfortunatelly I can't see any RX/TX rates on my AX89X. All of them are connected by cable to the router via a 10g switch. On the ET12 AP same issues... only wifi RX/TX rates are shown. Any ideas?
1.JPG

Well I had another look and unfortunatelly I can't see any RX/TX rates on my AX89X. All of them are connected by cable to the router via a 10g switch. On the ET12 AP same issues... only wifi RX/TX rates are shown. Any ideas?
View attachment 43520

Oh it's likely as you turned off your AX89X wireless.

RX = receive rates of your wireless devices (like iphones and laptops), which also means the wireless signal sent out by AX89X
TX = transmit rates of your wireless devices, which also means the wireless received by AX89X

Newer revision of AX89X is said to use faster qualcomm radios than the first generation, i was hoping to know how your B2 works.

Oh, ok. I thought RX/TX should show up also for wired connections. Would have been nice to see at which lan speed a device connected.

Oh it's likely as you turned off your AX89X wireless.

RX = receive rates of your wireless devices (like iphones and laptops), which also means the wireless signal sent out by AX89X
TX = transmit rates of your wireless devices, which also means the wireless received by AX89X

Newer revision of AX89X is said to use faster qualcomm radios than the first generation, i was hoping to know how your B2 works.
How can I see if is it b2 version?

It's written on the back of the router :). but if you buy it know as new it's most probably revision B2.

The outside label should have the revision code as well.