What's new

ASUS firmware DHCP "Continuous Mode" potential fix for "ISP's DHCP did not function properly"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i use merlin's firmware

But you still get the issue?

I think like you I will be waiting till it gets to merlin firmware and all the asus wrt have beta tested stock firmware releases of this :)

No bridge mode for me for a while still.

Tired of this issue now.

@RMerlin : Have you had any comms with Asus/Jack regarding this problem? Any chance of it being pushed to the next Merlin release please?

Tired of this issue now.

@RMerlin : Have you had any comms with Asus/Jack regarding this problem? Any chance of it being pushed to the next Merlin release please?
Might as well ask jack for the instructions on how to set it, I can send the commands if you pm me first.

Tired of this issue now.

No, I haven't discussed it with them.

It will be included in my firmware once Asus releases a GPL version that has it, and that version gets merged into my firmware. Nobody can tell when that will happen.

@Vexira Who/what are you replying to?

You have just repeated the contents of post #33. Why?

Those instructions use "telnet" so they must refer to Asus' firmware. This thread is about Merlin's firmware.

:confused:
Accidentally posted, I'm starting to think I need to hurry up and get new eyes glasses apparently it seems I'm blind without them lol, I broke my current pair by accident sadly.

Was supposed to sent it to someone via pm.

I do have a question anyone else running continuous mode have an issue where it changes from T1 to T2 when you change the DNS on the wan page?

I do have a question anyone else running continuous mode have an issue where it changes from T1 to T2 when you change the DNS on the wan page?

Yes, mine has also changed:

/sbin/udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -t2 -T5 -A160 -O33 -O249

as opposed to the original:

/sbin/udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -t1 -T5 -A0 -O33 -O249

I've no idea what these changes mean or if the fix is still working - should we re-run the commands again do you think?

Edit: BTW, I've not seen the diconnect error since first running the fix a day ago - horaaaah!

I asked jack Cheng about it he said he couldn't replicate it on stock firmware so It would be Merlin specific.

I asked jack Cheng about it he said he couldn't replicate it on stock firmware so It would be Merlin specific.

That would make sense. I'm going to leave it as it is, if I get the error again I'll re-run the initial commands & see if that fixes it again.

That would make sense. I'm going to leave it as it is, if I get the error again I'll re-run the initial commands & see if that fixes it again.
I reran the commands and it works fine, the only issue is changing the wan DNS which causes the T2.

Commands or a toggle option on the wan page?

Only via commands (nvram set dhcpc_mode=2); I believe when ASUS officially offers this feature it will be added to the "Normal" / "Aggressive" drop-down (which would explain why saving anything on the WAN Settings page currently overwrites the Continuous mode setting).

Only via commands (nvram set dhcpc_mode=2); I believe when ASUS officially offers this feature it will be added to the "Normal" / "Aggressive" drop-down (which would explain why saving anything on the WAN Settings page currently overwrites the Continuous mode setting).
Yep it actually works on the stable as well the same way.

Good morning.

I stumbled across this thread yesterday and thankfully the Continuous setting has fixed my "ISP's DHCP does not function correctly" problem which first materialised for me in December.

Link to my Virgin Media thread here

Never had issues with my AC86U set to Normal Mode for DHCP query frequency getting the VM IP from the Super Hub 2 in modem mode.

Don't you have to be careful with Continuous Mode though, as I thought I read somewhere it can get your device banned by some ISPs?

Last edited: