What's new

ASUS firmware DHCP "Continuous Mode" potential fix for "ISP's DHCP did not function properly"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had charter spectrum out tonight. They replaced the line from a splitter to the modem because it had a very short "stinger" on each end (the center wire). Then they checked signals and all looked good. They also replaced a fitting on an unrelated line. I am hoping that was the root of the trouble, so i will wait and see if i have any more drops. I had two drops before they came to the house.

Grrr. Had another drop this morning and it came back again. By the time that I went upstairs to look at the modem, the lights were both blue, indicating it was online. I definitely think it is the router at this point, and not my internet service. This is a frustrating problem.

Tech should have checked modem logs.
You should run a continuous ping using PingPlotter to check for packet loss. You can easily see any internet outage, even if it is very brief. I always had screen caps of ping plots to show the techs.
Your signal can be perfect and you can get packet loss, or T3 and T4 modem timeouts.
The maintenance crew is probably needed to adjust cable nodes and check for noise or ingress. Not something a regular tech can do.

after seeing that pingplotter isn't free, I am trying traceroute ng (free) and running a continuous check with google.com - I will see what that does.

Has anyone tried to switch off DHCP on WAN port and use Static IP instead? (in case you have access to your ISP router and can handle that from that side as well)

Wouldn't you need your ISP to provide you with a static IP and I believe most use dynamic, unless you pay extra to get a static IP from them, if they even offer this option.

Wouldn't you need your ISP to provide you with a static IP and I believe most use dynamic, unless you pay extra to get a static IP from them, if they even offer this option.

You are talking about DHCP on "ISP-->ISP's Router" segment (in case you are not using a bridge)
And I am talking about DHCP on "ISP's Router-->MyAsus" segment.

Tried to explain it in more detals here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...ot-function-properly.56226/page-4#post-616564

Just a note on this problem...I had a buddy that had this and somehow he had the MAC ID field (on the WAN tab) with a value in it. Removing that value immediately solved the problem and his router was able to connect repeatedly without further issue. Not sure how that value ever got into that field, but removal solved it. Maybe this helps someone. PS - He's on the stock firmware.

Last edited:
Meh ,,,happened once/month, can't ping theWAN gateway from internal and/or from the Router itself...thus it looks like router was trying to renew the IP address and stuck - I am with Merlin 384.18,,I set to continuous mode see if next month's re-occurred.

I forgot to comment on my situation until I just saw a notification...

This was happening every couple of hours (or more often). Charter Spectrum was out at least 6 times total - and they finally swapped the modem out for an older model. This seems to have finally resolved my issue. Unfortunately, my typical download speed isn't quite as good as it was when the previous modem was operating. I used to get 400-450 on my "400Mbit" plan. Now I am more like 375-ish. I don't have the energy to fight this one, as it is at a reasonable level of reliability for the first time in a month (or 2).

Eventually I might push them on the speed not being as-advertised. Part of the issue they brought up was that they were seeing a dropoff in the (something) carriers at the very top of the frequency range. I can't remember the acronym he used when he describe these carriers. Supposedly this replacement modem doesn't depend on those marginal carrier signals.

Also, I ended up buying a new Asus CT8 mesh system (2-pack) and that has now replaced my AX58U. (The AX router is now my bridge downstairs that provides ethernet to all my office hardware.

For what it is worth, this issue persists for me on NBN with Telstra and the AX88U (using ASUSWRT-Merlin in my case). Tried all DHCP settings, but, no matter what, sessions rarely stay up for more than a few days at a time, and in most cases, I have to manually disconnect the WAN and reconnect it. A cron job to do this with service restart_wan doesn't cut it. Quite frustrating. Really don't want to have to use another router!

Hmm, how did I miss this discussion. :) I have the same problem on AX88U, had AC68u before and that one did not have any problems.
Seems every time ip is change(I think) I loose wan connection. Reboot helps usually, last time that did not even help. But power off/on did.
I have tried to restart my modem(fiber to ethernet box), that does not help. Only rebooting AX88U helps.

For what it is worth, this issue persists for me on NBN with Telstra and the AX88U (using ASUSWRT-Merlin in my case). Tried all DHCP settings, but, no matter what, sessions rarely stay up for more than a few days at a time, and in most cases, I have to manually disconnect the WAN and reconnect it. A cron job to do this with service restart_wan doesn't cut it. Quite frustrating. Really don't want to have to use another router!

yes I still have this issue on my ac86u eccentric with continuous mode selected.

Hmm, how did I miss this discussion. :) I have the same problem on AX88U, had AC68u before and that one did not have any problems.
Seems every time ip is change(I think) I loose wan connection. Reboot helps usually, last time that did not even help. But power off/on did.
I have tried to restart my modem(fiber to ethernet box), that does not help. Only rebooting AX88U helps.

I have exactly the same issue.

you can save yourself some time by justswitching wan on and off on the asus router homepage

I have exactly the same issue.

you can save yourself some time by justswitching wan on and off on the asus router homepage
well yes if that would work, of course I have tried that. Also tried to change different Wan setting, activate dual Wan and put it back. Nothing works... except restart of the router. :(

well yes if that would work, of course I have tried that. Also tried to change different Wan setting, activate dual Wan and put it back. Nothing works... except restart of the router. :(

I am not saying turning wan on and off fixes the issue.

I am saying it turn wan on and off when the issue occurs and it saves you having to restart the router manually and takes less time to come back on.

I am not saying turning wan on and off fixes the issue.

I am saying it turn wan on and off when the issue occurs and it saves you having to restart the router manually and takes less time to come back on.
yes I understood that. But I meant it does not work for me. It will still say "ISP's DHCP did not function properly" or no internet after doing that without restating the router. Only way to get internet up and working is rebooting it.

yes I understood that. But I meant it does not work for me. It will still say "ISP's DHCP did not function properly" or no internet after doing that without restating the router. Only way to get internet up and working is rebooting it.
Agree. In the past the method of turning off and on wan has worked rarely. Rebooting router is usually needed.
Hopefully 386 firmware line will be better.