What's new

ASUS firmware will change the verification method

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 802.11d is a completely different topic than the FCC Rule and Order related to this topic...

I never said 802.11d was in any way related to this issue.

I was only commenting on Vaszago's proposition that region selection could work in a way similar to 802.11d.
Asus should put a proper location request. So they know where the router is located. And then release the allowable frequencies for the various countries.

I never said 802.11d was in any way related to this issue.

I was only commenting on Vaszago's proposition that region selection could work in a way similar to 802.11d.

Fair enough - in any event, many smartphones do have a slight advantage - the built in GPS/GNSS capability to determine where they are - so a user from the EU, when they travel to another country, could leverage that...

GeoIP can also work, but it's not as consistently applied.

In my currently used firmware there is no field for Confirming errors. Is there a page for confirming erros in the current firmware when the router in Repeter mode.

I remove the Feedback page from my firmware because I don't want users of my firmware sending irrelevant feedback to Asus. Issues must be tested using the original Asus firmware before submitting any feedback.

I kind of look at it this way. If you have features or requirements that are so important then you really shouldn't be running alpha and beta and the latest and greatest versions of firmware. Let someone else test it until it is very well baked before upgrading. This issue of not being able to backup to an earlier version is only a one time and done deal when they make the initial change. So wait until you KNOW the feature you require works before you update to the new firmware! Sounds kinda easy to me. Now I'm off to worry about something else that might actually be important... ;)
Unfortunately there are easily 1 million different combos. I have had 2 issues no one else has reported so unless someone has same exact issue I would have no idea it turned my router into a brick. there is no magic fix except to wait for asus to fix or downgrade. The downgrade option is going away.

No one forces users to upgrade, so it's simple, don't upgrade to newer FW versions. :)

Not completely true. If a major security issue pops up then one has little choice but to upgrade to keep there network as secure as possible.

Not completely true, look at John FW, ancient old base code and still up to date regarding security.

That's if people like yourself and John will still be able to continue with builds after this change.

Newer FW versions will only make older versions not work if you flash them on your devices, so i don't see a problem.

Newer FW versions will only make older versions not work if you flash them on your devices, so i don't see a problem.

Most people will not limit themselves to just John's fork. Once Asus and then Merlin builds have the no go back feature it will make it tough for most people. John's fork is excellent but it don't cover all models and when people have issues there will be no were to turn. Time will tell HGgomes.

Indeed, you are right, time will tell... :)

There's a saying on my country that tells you this:

"There are many ways of killing cockroaches".

Last edited:
Indeed, you are right, time will tell... :)

There's a saying on my country that tells you this:

"There are many ways of killing cockroaches".

@hggomes

'Doesn't matter what color the cat is - as long as it catches mice...' another good saying, eh?

But in the house, there is good and bad behavior...

I respect your insight and knowledge - I reject that you don't share your code and purposefully violate regulatory domains...

There are a lot of folks unhappy with TP-Link right now because they are one of the vendors who resorted to complete lockout of firmware vs Asus's spin on it...

ASUS is taking the right approach. However, I think the real problem is people who are trying to put these transmitters onto unauthorized frequency ranges, exceeding authorized transmitter power, etc. Shame that this burden has been pushed onto the manufacturers, but this extra regulatory concern did not appear from nowhere. Abuse leads to regulation and I wish more people would consider that outcome before they make certain choices.

ASUS for the 66u just put out the irreversible firmware. Where you can not go back to your previous firmware in the router you can do it with the current restore software that un-bricks your router. I tested it and it worked when I rolled my router back to an older fw. Being able to do that I can live with.

ASUS made a decision, just like their competitors made theirs. They cannot ignore regulations, doing so is suicidal for their business.

Personally, I never used the official firmware on my own ASUS router and never will. I will just wait until @RMerlin certifies his firmware with ASUS and continue to use it.

And be glad they do, otherwise can you imagine if your neighbour was allowed to run any kind of radio emitter at any power level he wished?

Agree aside from routers TV, Phone and anything else that uses the airwaves. Ok here is what i would like to know and Merlin your probably the best one to answer.

How does this new (No Back Code) work ? Will this put and end to people like HGgomes,Xvortex and more importantly John's fork ? What does NO Go Back mean to the future and past of third party code ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!