What's new

ASUS firmware will change the verification method

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does this new (No Back Code) work ? Will this put and end to people like HGgomes,Xvortex and more importantly John's fork ? What does NO Go Back mean to the future and past of third party code ?

My guess is the newer firmware scans the file to be uploaded into the router for certain signatures and if they don't meet whatever criteria, halts the installation. Similar to trying to install a firmware for the wrong router or something.

Last edited:
How does this new (No Back Code) work ? Will this put and end to people like HGgomes,Xvortex and more importantly John's fork ? What does NO Go Back mean to the future and past of third party code ?

I don't have the final details yet, so I don't know.

What is done, is done and it won't change any time soon no matter the debates. I'm curious what third party firmwares will have to do to be able to flash now and if some of us who compile it ourselves will still be able to do so. But nobody knows yet.

So iff we flash RMerlin FW we cant go back to John's fork, HGgomes, Xvortex anymore, or switch between them, that would be the end to FW from 3rt part?

So iff we flash RMerlin FW we cant go back to John's fork, HGgomes, Xvortex anymore, or switch between them, that would be the end to FW from 3rt part?
Any firmware released based on this revision and newer, ASUS own or Merlin's won't allow flashing of anything older than this base revision. John's fork included as it is based on a rather old version. By the way, Merlin's is a third party firmware, one that plays by the rules and ASUS has every interest to keep it around.

So you can only flash back only if its from the same base revision like RMerlin, John's fork, HGgomes, Xvortex and NOT between them?
For example, let's say that ASUS use 382_1000 BUILD so if all off them use this BUILD you can flash between them?

So you can only flash back only if its from the same base revision like RMerlin, John's fork, HGgomes, Xvortex and NOT between them?
For example, let's say that ASUS use 382_1000 BUILD so if all off them use this BUILD you can flash between them?
Theoretically yes, it remains to be seen though what third party developers will have to do for their firmware to be flashable

the
Theoretically yes, it remains to be seen though what third party developers will have to do for their firmware to be flashable
No currently you can roll back to an older firmware even if you load this new restricted fw. Where you can not go back to your previous firmware USING the router upload you can do it with the current restore software that un-bricks your router. I tested it and it worked when I rolled my router back to an older fw from the new irreversible one being offered now. So as of right now you could roll back to the older asus FW and if there is a 3rd party available load it on as usual. Make sure you keep a pre-change firmware handy and you should be able to roll back years from now if you wanted.

That's the gray area for me. If there is a way around this then what's the point to begin with. To many questions and not enough answers.

That's the gray area for me. If there is a way around this then what's the point to begin with. To many questions and not enough answers.

With any luck, the ultimate situation may be one where rollback is still possible with the right tools/knowledge. ASUS has to walk a line, but having a way to un-brick devices is a compelling business (and consumer protection) reason to always be able to undo it.

the

No currently you can roll back to an older firmware even if you load this new restricted fw. Where you can not go back to your previous firmware USING the router upload you can do it with the current restore software that un-bricks your router. I tested it and it worked when I rolled my router back to an older fw from the new irreversible one being offered now. So as of right now you could roll back to the older asus FW and if there is a 3rd party available load it on as usual. Make sure you keep a pre-change firmware handy and you should be able to roll back years from now if you wanted.

I think you're assuming a lot. It may have worked with this version as you state (I am not doubting you at all), but that doesn't mean it will continue to work like that indefinitely.

I think you're assuming a lot. It may have worked with this version as you state (I am not doubting you at all), but that doesn't mean it will continue to work like that indefinitely.
Maybe I'm missing something, but does the recovery rollback method to return to the "no verification" firmware have to work indefinitely? If we jump to our first "new verification method" firmware version and don't have problems with it, why would we ever need to go back further than that? I've only ever rolled my ASUS routers back once--and one version. I've never felt compelled to roll back three or four versions.

Maybe I'm missing something, but does the recovery rollback method to return to the "no verification" firmware have to work indefinitely? If we jump to our first "new verification method" firmware version and don't have problems with it, why would we ever need to go back further than that? I've only ever rolled my ASUS routers back once--and one version. I've never felt compelled to roll back three or four versions.

Yes, it must be able to work indefinitely if we're to have free choice.

Not having problems today, tomorrow or ten years from now doesn't mean anything to me. I plan to live longer than that.

There is nothing stopping the gov't/manufacturers from putting further restrictions as time goes on. Just because they seem to be smiling now doesn't mean it isn't with evil intent.

I too haven't used the rollback feature too often. But maybe that is because before today, it was an open system with real choice and the new firmware had to be actually better than the previous one, right? ;)

FCC-specific discussions have been moved to this thread. Please keep the existing thread on the topic of Asus's specific changes.

I would download and keep the older version of their restore. The restore is supposed to unbrick a messed up router so it doesn't look at what is loaded on the router it just pushes any firmware you have to it. Where they could block you is if they modify the restore software to not accept older versions. from what I know about the restore function you manually put the router into restore mode and use the software to push the FW you want. I don't quite know if they can reprogram the restore mode as I think its hardcoded in. Merlin would know better.

I don't quite know if they can reprogram the restore mode as I think its hardcoded in. Merlin would know better.

In theory, the bootloader could be modified/updated to also accept only certified firmwares.

RMerlin, that is the most probable scenario going forward.

If new firmware is (ever) flashed, they will have final control.

Did ASUS pull all their firmware off the site for every router??? Went on only utilities available tried it through several isp's with same result.

They are under "Other OS", as they should have been from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!