What's new

Beta Asus GT-AX6000 beta firmware version 9.0.0.6_102_33874 (2024/02/23)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASUS GT-AX6000 beta firmware version 9.0.0.6_102_33874

Version GT-AX6000_9.0.0.6_102_33874 Beta Version
64.7 MB (2024/02/23)

No changelog.
This is a beta version, use at your own risk
I received this FW directly from Asus support and received permission to share it with the SNB community. If you have any doubts or concerns, do not download this FW and leave this thread

DOWNLOAD

Thanks for sharing this beta release. It addresses my issues with the official 3.0.0.6.102_21514 release.

Asus better not see this because it will never release beta fw again. So much complaining and accusations... it's a waste of words.

I will never post any FW here again. I don't feel like explaining myself to anyone.
No man, don't let this get to you, I really appreciate you posting this especially since ASUS have forgotten this router. People who doubt its legitimacy should simply ignore it and move on!

@VANT . Tks for posting your observations. Good job. Keep em coming.

Although I am a AX88U PRO user, your report is encouraging that Asus is working toward improved FW - perhaps for all of the PRO series routers. Time will tell.

Can someone who trying check what version of OpenVPN is being used? Would also be interesting to know what version of dnsmasq is being used.

Can someone who trying check what version of OpenVPN is being used? Would also be interesting to know what version of dnsmasq is being used.
OpenVPN will be 2.4.something, while dnsmasq would most likely be 2.89 + some backports, which was the latest version I've seen merged into Asuswrt, a few months ago.

Code:
VANT@GT-AX6000-75B8:/tmp/home/root# openvpn
OpenVPN 2.4.12 arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Feb 23 2024

Code:
VANT@GT-AX6000-75B8:/tmp/home/root# dnsmasq -v
Dnsmasq version 2.89  Copyright (c) 2000-2022 Simon Kelley

Code:
OpenVPN 2.4.12 arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Feb 23 2024

Code:

Thought 2.89 was a security risk now is this not the case? Why did they not update to 2.90 like Merlin did ?

Thought 2.89 was a security risk now is this not the case? Why did they not update to 2.90 like Merlin did ?
Does stock firmware even offer DNSSEC? DNSSEC was where the vulnerability was.

Thought 2.89 was a security risk now is this not the case?
That firmware predates the release of the dnsmasq fixes - the dnsmasq dev only fixed it last week.

The issue is not as bad as people may indicate, it can only lead to the router stopping responding. Disabling DNSSEC will prevent the issue.

I am alomst 100% sure stock firmware does have DNSSEC same as Merlin's builds.
Not in ASUS GT-AX6000 Firmware version 3.0.0.6.102_21514
3.0.0.6.102_21514.png

It was added by Asus at some point after that release.
Possibly, it's in ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24231
3.0.0.4.388_24231.png

No DNSSec in this build.

OpenVPN will be 2.4.something, while dnsmasq would most likely be 2.89 + some backports, which was the latest version I've seen merged into Asuswrt, a few months ago.

Code:

Code:

Thanks. Why doesn't ASUS at least upgrade to OVPN 2.5, if not 2.6?

Thanks. Why doesn't ASUS at least upgrade to OVPN 2.5, if not 2.6?
Upgrading to 2.6 requires code changes, and dealing with compatibility issues it introduces, so it's not a 5 minutes job updating it. It's probably a lower priority versus fixing what's actually broken elsewhere.

I applause Asus change of approach to let SNB forum test out their beta version. We are the daily users /administrators for their routers so running beta through the community increases the opportunity to identify the gaps /bugs. This is one reason why I hopped on to Merlin FW. @VANT thanks for sharing.

Visible changes:
Right aster first boot the "Create new network" page appeared for a while, then it's changed to some EULA with a checkbox I'm more than 16 years old. Then booted as before.

FW upgrade page:
View attachment 56708
The new EULA page and the "Security Upgrade" switch on the firmware upgrade page got added on the stable 106_30308 for the AX88U-Pro, so it looks like they are making things more consistent between the two models. I've also noticed that it adds an additional "opt-out" for the EULA under the Privacy tab too.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!