What's new

ASUS Makes AiMesh Official

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
aimesh_routers.jpg

ASUS today quietly rolled out its AiMesh feature that has been in beta since last August.

AiMesh is a free firmware upgrade for select ASUS routers that adds the ability to form multi-node networks. So you can start with an existing AC class router and add other copies of that router, or any other AiMesh-enabled router to your mesh.

Which routers are supported you ask? Well, the situation is fluid. The EdgeUp ASUS blog post dated today says
If you’re using the ASUS RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC88U, the RT-AC1900, the RT-AC1900P, and the RT-AC3100, RT-AC5300, or the ROG Rapture GT-AC5300, you can get started with AiMesh today. Click here to download the beta.

But if you go to the AiMesh page as directed, there are only the download links shown above for the RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U and RT-AC1900. The best thing to do is hit the support page for your router and check for a firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.1xxxx .

Be advised that, in typical ASUS fashion, AiMesh is a work in progress. So don't expect smooth sailing.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...us-aimesh-mesh-network-router-firmware-update

Wow wasnt expecting this:

Asus has a good solution with its new AiMesh system, which lets you repurpose your existing Asus routers as part of a mesh network.

For now, the mesh support is coming to a few routers today in beta, including the ASUS RT-AC68U, RT-AC1900P, RT-AC86U, RT-AC5300, and the ROG Rapture GT-AC5300. with additional support planned for the RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 later this year.

Be interesting to see how this affects the Merlin project, is this something that could be integrated and improved upon?

I hope in future for AC-66U_B1 also, there is no info on offical RT-AC66U_B1 support page for AiMesh yet

Last edited:
Will it offer any roaming features, or will it be like some extenders where you walk from 1 part of a house to another, and it takes like 30 seconds for the device to realize it, and then another 10 seconds to disconnect and reconnect to the stronger AP that is using the same SSID?

Can you use it similarly as an AP? I have ethernet cables everywhere and I am unsure if it uses an wired ethernet backhaul or not.

Can you use it similarly as an AP? I have ethernet cables everywhere and I am unsure if it uses an wired ethernet backhaul or not.
It does support wired backhaul. I use it that way.

It does support wired backhaul. I use it that way.

That is good to hear, as I have wired backhaul throughout my house. How is your setup working for roaming/handoff between points?

I'm debating 2 RT-68u's setup are AiMesh with wired backhaul, versus 3 UAP-AC Lites setup as AP's. Thanks.

That is good to hear, as I have wired backhaul throughout my house. How is your setup working for roaming/handoff between points?

I'm debating 2 RT-68u's setup are AiMesh with wired backhaul, versus 3 UAP-AC Lites setup as AP's. Thanks.

I am debating a similar situation.

As you folks are pondering making networks from multiple three and four-stream routers, keep in mind too much power (in the form of more MIMO streams) is not always a good thing.

If there is too much overlap among APs, devices will be confused and roaming will be very bad. Then you'll be back here complaining about that...

As you folks are pondering making networks from multiple three and four-stream routers, keep in mind too much power (in the form of more MIMO streams) is not always a good thing.

If there is too much overlap among APs, devices will be confused and roaming will be very bad. Then you'll be back here complaining about that...
You can set reduced power settings to solve this, right?

You cannot reduce power output when using a US-sold router.

You cannot reduce power output when using a US-sold router.
Adjusting transmit power is one of the tools used to properly balance AP systems. The control was available on many of the recently reviewed AC1200 APs.

Adjusting transmit power is one of the tools used to properly balance AP systems. The control was available on many of the recently reviewed AC1200 APs.

I know. But for some reason, Asus's legal department took the FCC requirements to the letter, and removed ANY form of power output adjustment from the webui if the router is in the US region. Pretty sure the FCC's intention was only specific to power boosting, not reduction, but lawyers being what they are...

Ah, I thought you meant all routers. Thanks for clarifying.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!