What's new

ASUS Router Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matthew Rose

New Around Here
Hi All,

Looking for advice and opinions.

Looking for 2 Asus Routers with the best WIFI coverage. House is a decent size and has multiple deadspots. Ive run a CAT6 cable downstairs under the floor to hook up the second router so the router should support Aimesh

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Guessing you likely don't need a tri-band, so would look into either of the AC2900 class routers as they seem to offer good performance/ hardware specs and seem to be well supported on the firmware side as well (RT-86U also has firmware from Merlin I believe) from Asus, so more stable/ frequent AiMesh firmware releases compared to other models. Hope that helps.

Ive run a CAT6 cable downstairs under the floor to hook up the second router so the router should support Aimesh

My first thought is to forget about mesh and just configure the second router as an access point. It will then use its full bandwidth and be much more stable than a mesh system.

I have amazon current model of 68u 1.4 cpu and FiWi signal is better compare to AC5300 i have.
I have 43 devices and never experience need of faster CPU

RT-AC68U AiMesh 2 Pack is $210 on amazon right now ...

Hi All,

Looking for 2 Asus Routers with the best WIFI coverage. House is a decent size and has multiple deadspots. Ive run a CAT6 cable downstairs under the floor to hook up the second router so the router should support Aimesh

Thanks

I have 2 86Us, one set as an access point (hard wired) and our whole 2 story cape has 4-5 bars in every room and 3-4 out in the yard. AIMesh has some bugs still.

Sam

My setup is GT-AC5300 as the main router and a AC5300 as a wired Access Point. We have 4 people in the household and the average download per day is roughly 60-70 Gb of downloads. The AC5300 didn't do job alone but the new setup is awesome.

/Dolph

All depends upon what your ISP has for download/upload speed. Anything over 300 MBPS down you should invest in a router with a fast processor. Less than that and you can save your bucks and use a good but less powerful router. On my slow DSL I find the Asus RT-AC66U_B1 works very well (just over $100.00!) and supports Aimesh. RT-AC68U is also a great investment as is its successor the RT-AC86U. Yes, there are other "mesh" systems out there. I've tested the Netgear Orbi RBK50 and it works well for me but there are a lot of reported issues. And, Asus has more features for the money!

All depends upon what your ISP has for download/upload speed. Anything over 300 MBPS down you should invest in a router with a fast processor. Less than that and you can save your bucks and use a good but less powerful router. On my slow DSL I find the Asus RT-AC66U_B1 works very well (just over $100.00!) and supports Aimesh. RT-AC68U is also a great investment as is its successor the RT-AC86U. Yes, there are other "mesh" systems out there. I've tested the Netgear Orbi RBK50 and it works well for me but there are a lot of reported issues. And, Asus has more features for the money!

I can't find the RT-AC66U_B1 to be AiMesh-supported. I wonder if they are retracting that support?

OE

Hi All,

Thanks

I found a 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh to perform better than a 2xRT-68U AiMesh. The 86U is a more current build with about 20% stronger WiFi, as they claim. Also beefier processor and memory, and it supports Smart Connect node band steering (the 68U does not).

OE

Last edited:
I can't find the RT-AC66U_B1 to be AiMesh-supported. I wonder if they are retracting that support?

OE
Nope, still supported.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Nope, still supported.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I suppose it's not so odd that they fail to mention it anywhere, but I wouldn't want to buy a new one thinking it is supported.

OE

I suppose it's not so odd that they fail to mention it anywhere, but I wouldn't want to buy a new one thinking it is supported.

OE
Well, since the RT-AC68U and the RT-AC66U_B1 can use the same firmware (see Merlin's forum area and download), I have a RT-AC66U_B1 and have the latest, 384-20624, firmware that has Aimesh, have installed Merlin's version's for the RT-AC68U on my RT-AC66U_B1 as well as the Asus firmware for the RT-AC68U on my router, I guess I can safely recommend this router. Yes, it seems wierd that the RT-AC66U_B1 does not list Aimesh on an official Asus web site. But Asus also does not list Merlin's branck, John's fork or DD-WRT. Oh wait, the DD-WRT web site does list Asus as Fully DD-WRT supported routers. I also manage a couple of RT-AC68U's with John's fork. I upgraded one last week that had 161 days up time without a reboot! No runs, drips or errors either!!!
So lighten up a bit and don't have so much tunnel vision. Some of us are not shooting from the hip, although I do make some dumb comments from time to time...

Well, since the RT-AC68U and the RT-AC66U_B1 can use the same firmware (see Merlin's forum area and download), I have a RT-AC66U_B1 and have the latest, 384-20624, firmware that has Aimesh, have installed Merlin's version's for the RT-AC68U on my RT-AC66U_B1 as well as the Asus firmware for the RT-AC68U on my router, I guess I can safely recommend this router. Yes, it seems wierd that the RT-AC66U_B1 does not list Aimesh on an official Asus web site. But Asus also does not list Merlin's branck, John's fork or DD-WRT. Oh wait, the DD-WRT web site does list Asus as Fully DD-WRT supported routers. I also manage a couple of RT-AC68U's with John's fork. I upgraded one last week that had 161 days up time without a reboot! No runs, drips or errors either!!!
So lighten up a bit and don't have so much tunnel vision. Some of us are not shooting from the hip, although I do make some dumb comments from time to time...

Thanks for explaining. ASUS does not mention AiMesh support anywhere... not in their list of AiMesh-supported routers, not in the RT-AC66U B1 firmware release notes, not in the AiMesh FAQs... so, I thought it was worth inquiring about.

OE