What's new

Using Asus Router behind Provider 5g modem+router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mohammad Wahiduzzaman

Occasional Visitor
my provider gave me sagecom 5866 5g modem. it doesnt have any advanced setting like. qos or mesh. so I want to use my asus router as my main router while the 5g modem+wifi router act as a modem.
note: I have tried ap mode on asus router. qos function doesn't work there

my provider gave me sagecom 5866 5g modem. it doesnt have any advanced setting like. qos or mesh. so I want to use my asus router as my main router while the 5g modem+wifi router act as a modem.
note: I have tried ap mode on asus router. qos function doesn't work there
Set up your sagecom 5866 on bridge mode, then connect WAN port of asus router to LAN switch on sagecom. Sometimes you need to connect it to a specific LAN port.

If it is a modem/router, you have to disable its router characteristics, and leave it in modem mode, and also try to find out in your manual how to configure that to leave all its router functions to be done by asus router.

modem/router, you have to disable its router characteristics,
none of the FWA boxes are bridgeable.

They're just dumb boxes w/ a modem inside and all configured the same. You can't even change the subnet you want to use on the LAN. There are some tweaks you can do on some of them if you have the API info to make changes but, for the most part you're stuck with whatever the provider ordered. It keeps support calls simple since you can't customize them and when in doubt you have someone do a factory reset and hang up since it will be working again.

Best you can do is double NAT - there is no bridge mode for these 5G-FWA boxes...

there is no bridge mode for these 5G-FWA boxes
I started a new project. Bought a modem M2 and planning some thing new. Unleash the hamsters and see what I can get out of the RF. Modem should be here in a week or so. Got one that does mmwave as well for testing / future upgrades to the network. Prices and discounts are nice right now.

I started a new project. Bought a modem M2 and planning some thing new. Unleash the hamsters and see what I can get out of the RF. Modem should be here in a week or so. Got one that does mmwave as well for testing / future upgrades to the network. Prices and discounts are nice right now.

Sounds like fun -

Just note for TMHI - they have the APN, and that APN is restricted to specific TMHI issued SIM cards and billing/account information - and something else I've noted, the 5G-FWA sim cards seem to have IMEI range locks..

@sfx2000

FBB.HOME / IMEI is displayed in Hint app or label or box / AT commands to clone

No real mystery just whether you want to hack it a bit into something a bit more capable. The only issue I'm having is figuring out a solution for the mmwave antennas as there doesn't seem to be any specific options for use. There's the QTM options and I think I found some odd connector MHF7S that's similar to MHF4 but more shielding for RF leaks. There doesn't seem to be any panels though for the FR2 spectrums though for the client side. I suspect a typical coil on a wideband antenna should be able to pull the signal being broadcast though.

No real mystery just whether you want to hack it a bit into something a bit more capable. The only issue I'm having is figuring out a solution for the mmwave antennas as there doesn't seem to be any specific options for use. There's the QTM options and I think I found some odd connector MHF7S that's similar to MHF4 but more shielding for RF leaks. There doesn't seem to be any panels though for the FR2 spectrums though for the client side. I suspect a typical coil on a wideband antenna should be able to pull the signal being broadcast though.

Yeah, but what is the benefit - here in the US, the carriers are not charging rent on the gateways, and performance on those are pretty decent in any case...

what is the benefit
Full control of the connection, no bottleneck form the 1ge port, better core radios, etc.

The modern module inside the black box is alleged to be able to do 3ge dl speeds but since you can't bond the gig ports you would never see that. The custom setup will also allow band locking to get and maintain higher speeds. You unlock full 5g across all bands not just a single provider set and the option of mmwave for ultra wide spectrum and speeds. Mimo aggregation and higher LTE options for the foundation connection to the tower. Just to name a few things.

Full control of the connection, no bottleneck form the 1ge port, better core radios, etc.

You'll never have "full control" of a 4g/5g connection - the telco is in charge there, the client will do it's bidding...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!