What's new

Asus router App - Non external IP WAN router + Dydns

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrGundam

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I have an Asus ac88u router that I am trying to configure behind my ISP's router / modem.

So far I have managed to set the Asus as a DMZ and I am now able to remote access a home server I use for IP cameras etc via remote desktop and a Blue Iris app from outside my home (WAN).

The Asus router app works great on the LAN but I am having problems trying to get it to work outside my network. Instead of the Asus DDNS I used tried using my dyndns domain name (updated by the ISP router / modem with my public IP) as I did for RDP, Blue Iris etc but I just cannot get it to work for some reason. The app says connection failed.

I assume my dyndns domain name will work in the same way as the Asus provided one? I figured that the Asus one will only update with my non external WAN address that the ISP router provides.

I tried playing about with the port forwarding on the ASUS and forwarding port 8843 to the routers LAN and WAN ip but that didn't change anything.

Anyone have any ideas if I can get this to work without a true external WAN ip for the router?

Cheers

Hi guys,

I have an Asus ac88u router that I am trying to configure behind my ISP's router / modem.

So far I have managed to set the Asus as a DMZ and I am now able to remote access a home server I use for IP cameras etc via remote desktop and a Blue Iris app from outside my home (WAN).

The Asus router app works great on the LAN but I am having problems trying to get it to work outside my network. Instead of the Asus DDNS I used tried using my dyndns domain name (updated by the ISP router / modem with my public IP) as I did for RDP, Blue Iris etc but I just cannot get it to work for some reason. The app says connection failed.

I assume my dyndns domain name will work in the same way as the Asus provided one? I figured that the Asus one will only update with my non external WAN address that the ISP router provides.

I tried playing about with the port forwarding on the ASUS and forwarding port 8843 to the routers LAN and WAN ip but that didn't change anything.

Anyone have any ideas if I can get this to work without a true external WAN ip for the router?

Cheers
If you are using Merlin Firmware there is an option to use custom scripts.
One of the scripts I have seen in the wiki is about double natting and ddns. Maybe this can be helpfull for you as well.

Hi guys,

Cheers

Sawatdee Krap,

Not sure I can help with all of your questions. But I can share what I did in order to have remote access to a router for a site I support. I took the GPON ISP router / modem and turned it into a modem by disabling the router function by placing it in Bridge Mode. I also turned off the radios and DHCP. Note that I always have to manually configure my IP address on my Win 10 laptop when I need to access the ISP router / modem since DHCP is turned off. I connected the cable from a LAN port to the WAN port from the ISP router / modem to the AC88U. I had to enter the ISP PPOE userid and password on the WAN setup page on the AC88U. To give me remote access, I used yorgi’s guide to configure a VPN server and also configured dnsomatic.com on the DDNS tab. When I need to remote into the router, I have to go to dnsomatic to see what the current WAN IP is. I then have to edit the VPN certificate on my Win 10 laptop with the new WAN IP before attempting to connect.

I also disabled the router function of the ISP modem / router at my home and at another site. The ISP provided modem / router firmware is terrible and the CPU under powered compared to the AC88U. From others I have talked to, turning the ISP modem / router into a modem is best practice. When I first moved to Thailand, I was not doing this and made a LAN to WAN connection in order to connect the two routers together so I could run one as a VPN client. But one can get double NATing issues with this setup and also be limited by the underpowered CPU of the ISP router / modem.

Good luck!