What's new

Asus RT-3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PainKiller89

Occasional Visitor
All,

I recently started having issues with my router. Internet is slow, 2.4Ghz clients keep getting disconnected. Google devices will not connect to 2.4ghz. 5GHz works fine. I also flashed asus firmware and merlin firmware same issue. I am starting to think its an issue with the router's hardware.

What router should i get to replace it? Please assist.

After flashing RMerlin's firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults? If not, you may not be properly evaluating the hardware.

Please see the link in my signature below to get your router to a good/known state. You may also want to refer to the Nuclear Reset guide too from that same link below.

For recommendations on what router you need to replace the usually excellent RT-AC3100, you will need to provide more details on not just the size of the home to be covered, but also the expected performance you seek from such an upgrade too.

Before going down that road though, I would flash RMerlin 384.15_0 (or better yet, the just as stable RMerlin 384.16 Beta 1) and do a full reset to factory defaults, including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' box and after the router reboots, use the following URL to flash the same firmware again (the URL bypasses the setup wizard to save you some time) followed by another full reset. At this point, I would additionally 'Format the JFFS partition on next boot' (make sure to hit 'Apply' at the bottom of that page and reboot the router at least twice in the next 15 minutes) and finally, use the WPS reset method to do another type of 'full reset' on the router.

Next, use the suggested guides to make an initial configuration and leave it like that until it has proven stable (or not). Do not use a saved backup config file. Do not blindly put in any previous settings/customizations until the router is proven stable at this stage on its own.

To be sure, the above may be overkill and all steps may not be required. But all the steps above should be done to really know (as much as possible) if the hardware is really failing or you should be looking at something else in your network setup.

Don't be intimidated by the number of steps. In less than 30 minutes to an hour, you should know if a new router is needed or if your current router just needed to be brought back to a good/known state to perform as you expect. :)

All,

I recently started having issues with my router. Internet is slow, 2.4Ghz clients keep getting disconnected. Google devices will not connect to 2.4ghz. 5GHz works fine. I also flashed asus firmware and merlin firmware same issue. I am starting to think its an issue with the router's hardware.

What router should i get to replace it? Please assist.

Although L & LD suggest you to solve the firmware issues, it can be multiple such as interface login problem, VPN related bugs, sever compatibility issue, schedule reboot bugs etc.
If you need any suggestion regarding replacing another router, my recommendation within Asus is RT-AC3200 Mbps class tri-band router is best for you. You may switch to another brand of routers as per your requirments.

After flashing RMerlin's firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults? If not, you may not be properly evaluating the hardware.

Please see the link in my signature below to get your router to a good/known state. You may also want to refer to the Nuclear Reset guide too from that same link below.

For recommendations on what router you need to replace the usually excellent RT-AC3100, you will need to provide more details on not just the size of the home to be covered, but also the expected performance you seek from such an upgrade too.

Before going down that road though, I would flash RMerlin 384.15_0 (or better yet, the just as stable RMerlin 384.16 Beta 1) and do a full reset to factory defaults, including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' box and after the router reboots, use the following URL to flash the same firmware again (the URL bypasses the setup wizard to save you some time) followed by another full reset. At this point, I would additionally 'Format the JFFS partition on next boot' (make sure to hit 'Apply' at the bottom of that page and reboot the router at least twice in the next 15 minutes) and finally, use the WPS reset method to do another type of 'full reset' on the router.

Next, use the suggested guides to make an initial configuration and leave it like that until it has proven stable (or not). Do not use a saved backup config file. Do not blindly put in any previous settings/customizations until the router is proven stable at this stage on its own.

To be sure, the above may be overkill and all steps may not be required. But all the steps above should be done to really know (as much as possible) if the hardware is really failing or you should be looking at something else in your network setup.

Don't be intimidated by the number of steps. In less than 30 minutes to an hour, you should know if a new router is needed or if your current router just needed to be brought back to a good/known state to perform as you expect. :)

Thank you for the instructions. Still have 2.4GHZ dropping clients. I am looking for an upgrade from RT-3100. Looking to cover 3000 sq ft of the house with Wireless/lan throughput and WAN.

What steps and in what order did you complete the steps in? Did you also reference the link in my signature too? Depending on the steps skipped, you may have negated any attempt to bring the router back to a good/known state. Also, what firmware did you test? And, did you flash, reset and flash it again (and in your case, I would have reflashed the same firmware a third time too).

If you did follow all steps and tried them at least twice, the router directly above yours is an RT-AC86U and above that, an RT-AX88U. Each of these routers gives more throughput and at least equal range as the RT-AC3100 did, in my experience, with the RT-AX88U offering the best in class performance with RMerlin firmware today.

Note that the same setup should be followed on any new router, in any event, to ensure it has the best chance to perform as well as it can.

Looking forward to seeing your reply as I'm curious to know the exact reset steps taken. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!