What's new

ASUS RT-66AC Fail

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChuckTin

Occasional Visitor
It's been storming a bit here, north central Florida (Marion County) and our power has been up and down as had the TV Cable (Spectrum).
During one on the storms we lost Internet and Telephone service that comes thru the Cable Modem. Spectrum tech finally had me replace the Cable Modem as they couldn't remote in and reset. But then my ASUS Router started reporting a DHCP error from the ISP. The internet service had been restored cause I could tap in thru the Cable Modem with a laptop but not thru the Router. I replaced the ASUS with a Linksys and all is well and we seem to have gained some speed as well.
So - questions: was this a power surge problem or a spike in the coax caused by a lightening strike? How to prevent this from reoccurring?
We have installed a whole house generator and it takes about 10 seconds to restore full power to the house, it's kicked in 2-3 times in the last 2 weeks. I have ordered a 600 VA UPS to carry the Router and the Cable Modem thru the 10 second gap. Should I be doing anything else?

So - questions: was this a power surge problem or a spike in the coax caused by a lightening strike? How to prevent this from reoccurring?

Surge protectors for power and data lines are available, but none can guarantee equipment survival after lightning hits with few million volts discharge. I had a case of 4 shot computer power supplies after a lightning storm, all behind power line surge protectors. All the protectors were shot too, but not fast enough. So nothing much you can really do. Looks like you already have reasonable protection.