What's new

ASUS RT- 66u vs 68u vs 87u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dweiss

Occasional Visitor
I am considering buying several of the ASUS AC routers and would like to hear people's thoughts on the following topics.

Specifically, what are the main differences between the following router models? Are there any reasons to prefer one of these models over the others?

- RT-AC66
- RT-AC68
- RT-AC87

Also, do all three of these routers use the same software interface?

Thanks,

. . . do all three of these routers use the same software interface?

Essentially yes. The GUI interface is really identical with respect to all three, both on the stock Asus firmware and on Merlin's. The main exception is with some features that are not implemented on the 66U like adaptive QoS (there are settings for standard QoS but not for the newer adaptive version).

As for other difference, as Kevtech suggested, you should read the reviews, compare the specs, and check the router ranker on the front page of the site.

If you're asking about what various users have experienced I'm sure others will come along and provide you with some additional feedback.

Personally, I'm still using two AC66U's, one as a router and the other as a repeater, and am pleased with the performance. They easily handle the 25+ devices I have in our house and they provide excellent coverage. I'm currently using Merlin's 378.50 beta, and other than a few minor issues, it's very stable. Again, no Adaptive QoS, but I find that my streaming and other concurrent uses don't even require QoS at all, so even though I don't know what I'm missing, things are working fine.

I have the RT-AC66R and it has been rock solid. Never had an issue with it. I have about 12 -15 devices connected at any given time and it handles everything with no issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!