What's new

Asus RT-AX5400 vs RT-AX82U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoSmittyCan

Occasional Visitor
Hesitating between two Asus models : RT-AX5400 and RT-AX82U

AX82U is cheaper, but the newer model (RT-AX5400) lists more features (VPN Fusion, WireGuard, Let's Encrypt, Safe browsing, DNS-over-TLS, New Device Connect Notification, etc.).

The latest AX82U firmware is adding some of missing features (like "VPN Fusion"). Could they both have all same features with latest firmware?

Besides the obvious (casing and LEDs), are there any performance or feature differences between the two? Any reason to chose one versus the other?

Jo S.

--------

Latest AX82U firmware : https://www.asus.com/ca-en/networki...s/rt-ax82u/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=RT-AX82U

Welcome to the forums @JoSmittyCan.

After using the RT-AX58U with the same Tri-Core CPU @ 1.5GHz, I cannot recommend anything on that same platform. Very weak processor.

If you must buy one of these, the newest one is nominally advisable (it will have the latest drivers, SDK, and other pertinent upgrades required for WiFi in late 2023). But I would suggest you keep saving instead.

Particularly if your area is bigger, your devices are many, and/or your ISP speeds are towards 1Gbps (or closer to that than 500Mbps speeds).

The same router with different marketing. Both versions run firmware with the same features.

Welcome to the forums @JoSmittyCan.

After using the RT-AX58U with the same Tri-Core CPU @ 1.5GHz, I cannot recommend anything on that same platform. Very weak processor.

If you must buy one of these, the newest one is nominally advisable (it will have the latest drivers, SDK, and other pertinent upgrades required for WiFi in late 2023). But I would suggest you keep saving instead.

Particularly if your area is bigger, your devices are many, and/or your ISP speeds are towards 1Gbps (or closer to that than 500Mbps speeds).
What model would you recommend? I put it on a low-profile shelf, so vertical models won't fit.

Also , in what circumstances (use cases) did you experience performance problems with that h/w platform? And what are the symptoms when that happens (loss of connections, data transfer rate drops etc.)?

Jo S.

What ISP speeds do you have? When I tested it, I had 1Gbps symmetrical speeds. And, it was only used in AP/AiMesh mode (and the network performance suffered still, most notably, higher latency and laggy performance when in the network).

The GT-AX6000 is what I would be looking towards if you have 1Gbps speeds (and/or expect greater than 1Gbps speeds in the nearish future).

If you're looking at much lower than 1Gbps and can source one, the RT-AX68U is also highly recommended.

Note that a single RT-AX68U was immensely superior to 2x RT-AC86Us (even if the customer wanted 2 routers installed anyways, in the end).

I put it on a low-profile shelf, so vertical models won't fit.

RT-AX82U then. Longer around, tested, mostly positive reviews, has available GNUton Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

If the budget is higher GT-AX6000 and RT-AX88U Pro. Both almost the same hardware routers, also flat design.

I'm about to upgrade to cable 400mbps or Giga (960 mbps), still not decided yet.

From what you've all been saying, I understand that faster hardware (e.g. AX82U GT-AX6000) is required for gigabit Internet. But if I go with cable 400 mbps, can I assume that the cheaper AX82U would be fine?

@Tech9 I hear rumors that some AX82U shipping are now V2, which is not supported by GNUton. Is it fair to assume a new purchase will now be V2?

Jo S.

Last edited:
At 400Mbps, those low-end models may be enough. If they work stably for your environment.

At 1Gbps+ speeds, don't waste your time with them.

The GT-AX6000 is what I would be considering if I were you.

(The RT-AX82U is not 'faster hardware', to be clear).

I had the AX58U with gig fiber and had no issues getting 940/940 wired and 500 to 600 mbps over wifi using a AC client. In fact i never had one issue with that router.

Thanks for the additional data point. Are those connection speeds or actual throughput?

What was the reason to get the RT-AX86s with lower ISP speeds then (just curious)?

Thanks for the additional data point. Are those connection speeds or actual throughput?

What was the reason to get the RT-AX86s with lower ISP speeds then (just curious)?

Actual speeds. I got comcast now because i moved for a better paying job. And yes i really miss my gig fiber connection its just not available here.

As for the AX86S i picked that up because i had a 150.00 best buy gift card and it was on sale. Also gave them my old AC3100 for another 15% off so i paid a total of 11.00 for my AX86S and it works well.

I believe @JoSmittyCan is in Canada.

1692632795503.png

This is basically the same router as the ones above with restricted radio to AX3000 class. The every day user experience to common 2-stream clients will be the same. This specific AX58U is perhaps V2 with slightly faster 4-core 1.7GHz processor. On sale now, Canada Computers.

On sale and with no RMerlin support either. Some deals; aren't.

If you're looking at much lower than 1Gbps and can source one, the RT-AX68U is also highly recommended.

Note that a single RT-AX68U was immensely superior to 2x RT-AC86Us (even if the customer wanted 2 routers installed anyways, in the end).
I'm obviously way late to this thread but the RT-AX68U is now on the https://www.asus.com/event/network/eol-product/ list.

Yes, given enough time, the status of things changes.