What's new

ASUS RT-AC1900P Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks Tim. I think my setup is about the same. I have an insignia enclosure that converts the sata to usb3. When I test that drive direct to usb3 on the computer it runs at 60MB/s very solid. When I connect that same drive to the router it is 29MB/s from NAS to computer and about 22MB/s from computer to NAS. Watching the CPU graph on the router shows that it's CPU limiting. That's the best I can achieve. Turning on media sharing makes it much worse.

I'm wondering if there are multiple versions even of the 1900P ?! Attached is an image of my label. I did let the router upgrade it's firmware to ASUS's latest.

What is this set to Reducing USB 3.0 interference?

What is this set to Reducing USB 3.0 interference?
Ha, that worked! For one file transfer. After that it was back to normal. I also tried turning 2.4G off completely, same thing. usb xfers slow and sometimes stop entirely. I also tried rebooting with a power cycle instead of from the gui after reading stome other people's problems with this, but it did not help. This is the second one unit I've tried, so I think I'll just return it and forget about getting nas included with my router. Instead I'll get something cheaper that does a solid job at the basic job of being a router.

Thanks for your help though.

Do all AC1900Ps have the 1.4ghz clock? I've seen mixed reports. Furthermore does the extra 400ghz make a real world improvement for onboard VPN and routing?

Do all AC1900Ps have the 1.4ghz clock? I've seen mixed reports. Furthermore does the extra 400ghz make a real world improvement for onboard VPN and routing?

Running N66 OpenVPN ClkFrq 600 VPN = 15

Running AC1900P OpenVPN ClkFrq 1400 VPN = 55

Pfsense I7 - 1.8 ghz - Turbo 3.0 Ghz OpenVPN = 14o+

Thank you Captain! I've been thinking how great it would be if PFSense could run inside consumer routers with open sourced firmware.

Thank you Captain! I've been thinking how great it would be if PFSense could run inside consumer routers with open sourced firmware.

Its not Pfsense that makes it faster, it is the fact that you can run Pfsense on PC grade processors, with higher clock rates. You don't find this type of processor in SOHO grade routers because most people are not running VPNs and also do not have 100 Mbps or faster connections.

Thanks for disseminating this!

Does anyone know why the UDP performance on the AC1900P is so much worse when everything else is marginally better? Seems really strange.

Do you need to open up the box to see the hardware version? What's the difference between V3 and the B ones?

As a data point, I bought two RT-AC1900Ps from the Best Buy in San Carlos CA and both are hardware rev. B2.

1. While initial set-up wasn't a problem, at some point I had to reset the router using the reset button. At that point, I ran into an almost never-ending loop where the router wouldn't let me change the default user name/password but I couldn't log in with the default user name/password. Not sure but after 2-3 resets and repeated attempts with different combinations of user names/passwords, was able to finally get back into the router interface.

pacoinconn,

To respond to your post 6 months after the fact - I also experienced your item 1. This caused me to waste a few hours when I got the device. What happens is that sometime when you are in the "Quick Internet Setup" the device will pop up a window asking you to sign in. Because you have already entered a new user name and password you enter those but it fails. What you need to do in this situation is to use the router's default user name and password which is admin/admin. Then you can proceed on with the Quick Internet Setup.

Why does it ask you for your user name and password in the middle of Quick Internet Setup - who knows. Why does this only happen sometimes during Quick Internet Setup- who knows. Why does it only apply your new user name and password at the end of the Quick Internet Setup - who knows. But I do know that using admin/admin can get you past this confusing point.

Last edited:
Do we know which antenna is for which band or all 3 serve both 2.4 & 5GHz?

All 3 run both radios.
Ok thanks. Tried different orientations while having a smartphone on second floor with a meter to see if I would get better or worse signal but not much I could figure out trying _ \ and |

Ok thanks. Tried different orientations while having a smartphone on second floor with a meter to see if I would get better or worse signal but not much I could figure out trying _ \ and |

I usually keep my center antenna vertical and the sides at a 45 degree angle for best wireless coverage.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!