What's new

ASUS RT-AC1900P Problems with ATT WiFi calling on my iPhone 6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IsaacFL

Regular Contributor
I recently updated to an ASUS RT-AC1900P router, and I now have intermittent problems with my iPhone 6 not being able to use ATT WiFi calling.

I have no signal from ATT at my house so I depend on WiFi calling. The iPhone is connecting to the WiFi no problem and speed tests show good connection with full bars. Sometimes it works but much of the time it does not. I have tried going into Airplane mode and back, and does not reconnect. I tried turning the phone off then on and still doesn't connect. If I reboot the router though, it does reconnect.

I am using the standard firmware on the router, and it is up to date.

Any suggestions if there might be a setting on the ASUS that I have set wrong. My old router never seemed to have this problem.

Try 'forgetting' and re-associating the phone with your new router.

If that is not enough, try resetting the network to defaults on the phone.

Try 'forgetting' and re-associating the phone with your new router.

If that is not enough, try resetting the network to defaults on the phone.

I will give that a try. It is one of those things, that takes a while to troubleshoot.

What wireless modes are you using on the router?
What channels are you using on the router?
Any other neighboring wifi near by?

What wireless modes are you using on the router?
What channels are you using on the router?
Any other neighboring wifi near by?
I was using Auto, on the channels. I manually set the channels, to minimize interference. Will see if that helps.

Might try setting a single N mode and test as well.

I am using the standard firmware on the router, and it is up to date.

Any suggestions if there might be a setting on the ASUS that I have set wrong. My old router never seemed to have this problem.
ATT WIFI calling works here using AC68P which uses the same firmware as AC1900P, however, I'm using Merlin's firmware now @.63Beta2. No extra settings done to the GUI, it just works.

Requirements for ATT (and perhaps others) functioning on Wi-Fi
  • Check SIP/ALG functions - one works, one does not
  • IPSEC must be allowed
  • Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) set to 1500
  • Appropriate ports must be open
    • Port: 500 (Protocol: UDP)
    • Port: 4500 (Protocol: UDP)
Wi-Fi Network Throughput is another thing to consider:
  • Once a device connected to one access point must it maintain at least 12kbps, and up to 72kbps.
  • If throughput dips below 12 kbps the call can drop.
Wi-Fi Calling Fully Qualified Domain Names (FQDN)

Wi-Fi Calling expected to be able to hit and traverse these FQDNs for ATT WiFi calling:
HTH...

I tried changing channels and it worked for awhile. But now it is not working again.

I switched to another router (the one provided by my ISP, that I don't normally use) and it started working.

So it I think it is something I have set incorrectly on the ASUS router. We also have a Verizon iPhone and it is having same problems.

Last edited:
I tried changing channels and it worked for awhile. But now it is not working again.

I switched to another router (the one provided by my ISP, that I don't normally use) and it started working.

So it I think it is something I have set incorrectly on the ASUS router. We also have a Verizon iPhone and it is having same problems.

I'm using the 1900P here with Merlins firmware and WiFi calling is working fine. Didn't tweak anything. Actually, I didn't know it was working until I happened to look at the phone signal widget and found it was on.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!